taking oil sample without changing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening!

I'm kicking around getting Mobil 1 A.P. and doing UOA's at 5k intervals to get a rough idea of how it stands up to a full (or nearly full) 20k change interval.

I thought about using a fluid transfer pump, but can't the tube to the sump. I'd like to refrain from draining it, getting a sample, and then refilling it with the drained oil.

Anyone have an idea?

Last edited:
If you have a dipstick you have access to the oil for a sample. You might have to look around for a pump of some kind and tubing. Harbor Freight is a good starting point. It's a toy store for adults.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Can you not get a piece of ice maker line down the dipstick tube?

Even smaller polyethylene tubing is available at Lowe's & Home Depot.

Looks like ice-maker tubing, but a little smaller

Or you can grab a clean, open pan from the dollar store start draining, sample, and pour it back in...keep it simple. ..

I wouldn't sample at 5k that's too early, I'd start at 10k.

Another way to get a sample is from the oil filter, just take the filter off and drain it by pushing something skinny into the ADBV

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't sample at 5k that's too early, I'd start at 10k.

Agreed. I send samples in on a very regular basis, as I have done for several years prior to joining BITOG. Polaris test labs ASKS FOR initial sample at 7500 mi. Thereafter, sample when you please.

OP, sorry for your dilemma. I went through those days. Makes me thankful that my bypass filter has a sampling petcock. I can now take samples with the motor running in less than 60 seconds.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Can you not get a piece of ice maker line down the dipstick tube?

That is what I do using a Blackstone fluid pump.

I knew there had to be a good way! I hadn't even thought about the dipstick tube!

I had thought of 5k intervals, because I'm curios to see how the TBN and TAN fall and rise (respectively) through the interval, and if it's linear or if it snowballs at all. I thought that perhaps with the likelihood of organic compounds, that having more samples would give an idea of the life of those as the oil ages if/when the TBN tanks or the TAN shoots up.

4 UOAs just seemed like a neat and clean number, and with the VOAs that we have for A.P. already, might make the fun bit of playing detective more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back