Taking my motorcycle class!

Too much debris and dropped oil in the middle of the roads. I typically stay in the RH "track" of the land I'm in ... that gives you even more room away from the on coming lane. If there is nobody coming down the opposite lane I might ride in the LH "track" of the lane, but will move over to the RH track when cars are coming towards me.

On a wet road the centre dries first, so will move there rather than ride in a wet wheel track. I will normally sit in the outside wheel track so the driver can see me in their mirror, they check that mirror more often than centre or passenger mirrors.

On a wet road the centre dries first, so will move there rather than ride in a wet wheel track. I will normally sit in the outside wheel track so the driver can see me in their mirror, they check that mirror more often than centre or passenger mirrors.
When the roads are wet, the area where the vehicle tires run has much less water compared to the center of the lane. The last thing you want to do is ride in the middle of the lane when wet, because the water on all the oil dripped off of cars in the middle of the lane is going to make it much more hazardous. If it's not raining, the area of the road where tires run will dry out faster than the center will.

Wet Road Photo #1
Wet Road Photo #2
Wet Road Photo #3

. If it's not raining, the area of the road where tires run will dry out faster than the center will.
Our roads must be different, here, on a drying road, the centre always dries first, from the heat of engines, exhausts, tyres don't put enough heat into the road to dry. Except on a bridge - I cross our town bridge every day, the centre is wet, wheel tracks dry, get off the bridge and it reverses again.

1560498266512.jpg

^^^ That looks like a seal coated road with huge crushed rocks. The well traveled black shiny area is where tires have pushed the rocks down into the road and it's smoother than the untraveled areas. So I could see how the center of the lanes might seem less wet. Looks like the roads out in the middle of nowhere around here - not the typical roads in the USA.

I can pick holes in your pictures too, be we won't go there. It happens on all types of surface here, main roads and back roads...although roads without much traffic won't get the heating.

I can pick holes in your pictures too, be we won't go there. It happens on all types of surface here, main roads and back roads...although roads without much traffic won't get the heating.
What holes? My photos clearly show that the road is much wetter outside of where car tires are traveling in the lanes. I've seen seal coated roads here, and they are much different (way more granular/rough surfaced) than smooth blacktop or concrete roads when it comes to water. Last thing you want to do on any road (wet or dry) is travel in the center of the lane where there is debris and oil.

Laid my bike down in an attempt to keep from broadsiding the car. Had already lost a good friend who died when he collided with a car that had suddenly turned in front of him, cutting him off. Just what was happening to me at the time.

Not concerned if you approve.

Could you provide the step by step procedure for "laying a bike down?" I've heard many people say they did, but nobody can ever seem to explain exactly how they did it.

Could you provide the step by step procedure for "laying a bike down?" I've heard many people say they did, but nobody can ever seem to explain exactly how they did it.
There's a good chance the procedure starts with over-braking the rear tire and putting the bike into yaw. I'm not suggesting it's a good procedure, but that's probably how it goes.

Back