Taking my motorcycle class!

Went through a good motorcycle course many years ago when I first started riding. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Instructor's warning was: "It's not if you are going down - it's when you are going down." He was not using scare tactics. And he was right.

An elderly driver pulled right out in front of me one day. Out in the country. I was going about 30. No other cars around anywhere. I made eye contact with her. Didn't matter. Laid down my Wing to try and keep from broadsiding her.

Bottom half of my left knee is now from a cadaver donor, steel rod and nine screws in lower leg, road rash all over, safety glasses saved my left eye. In the hospital and rehab facility for 3 months, 8 months off work. Many others have been hurt much worse than me. I have a friend who was, and another friend killed. Both very similar circumstances. I am blessed.

Eventually repaired the bike. Rode it twice. The old adage, "You got to get back on the horse that threw you."

And then I had to ask myself if I was nuts. I was. Sold the bike. Have never regretted that decision.

You just can't control what other people are going to do. And the consequences on a bike are often severe.

If you can prove me wrong I will admit it. All you need to do is buy the most expensive helmet you can afford, then ride your bike into a bridge at 70 mph, and if your still alive, I'll admit I was wrong with that statement. So when do you want to do it?. Oh, and be sure to wear your power ranger outfit. ,,

I almost always ride in the center of my lane, it has kept me from getting killed by someone oncoming getting ready to pass . Never put your bike in neutral at a stoplight, check your mirrors constantly . I always wear gloves and a decent 600 denier jacket Along with Kevlar lined jeans. Get a good helmet that fits well, fullfaced would be great, most wrecks your chin hits things first.
Your bolded statement is something I hardly ever do. Too much debris and dropped oil in the middle of the roads. I typically stay in the RH "track" of the land I'm in ... that gives you even more room away from the on coming lane. If there is nobody coming down the opposite lane I might ride in the LH "track" of the lane, but will move over to the RH track when cars are coming towards me.

This question comes up fairly often. My reply one of the previous times.

I absolutely recommend an MSF course (former MSF instructor), but it will not teach you everything about riding safely.

It's a good basic starting point, but I would suggest some advanced riding and even roadracing instruction, to learn even more about how to control a Motorcycle. Even then, riding is a continual learning experience.

I recall one roadracing instruction class that I was assisting in teaching, one guy said he came to the class with what he thought was 30 years of riding experience. After the class he stated that what he had prior to taking the class, was 1 year of experience, 30 times.

Ridng is a continual learning process. Even for the best MotoGP riders.

A little advice: Never assume other drivers see you. Always assume you are invisible.

Learn to scan, constantly - as far ahead as you can see, to the sides, to the rear, pick up every clue there is, know where every car is at all times. Sounds a lot of work, but it's actually relaxing. We have signs on back roads for riders, they say things like - Expect the Unexpected....Enter Wide, Exit Tight...Ride Your Own Ride. Of course I know all this stuff - She'll Be Right Mate.

On the helmet... There some wisdom to not buying the most expensive one starting out, over a certain level you're buying features, not protection, a newer rider may be better equipped to decide what features are important to them after a year or two... decide if you want SNELL or ECE and buy the best fitting one you can afford.

As for jeans my bride could tell you about how that works from 35ish MPH... (not that well)

I rode for over 40 years and never had a wreck. Kicked a few doors but never wrecked. I always assumed that people in cars can't see me. My motorcycles were all quiet ones. Always wait a couple seconds to start after your light changes. People run a lot of light nowdays. If you are behind a semi at a light assume you won't make it and wait. Get a motorcycle that has enough steel down low to trip the stoplights. Remember your family depends on you. Pray a lot before you ride.

Always wear pants. My dad used to ride and got thrown off one and got severe road rash from wearing shorts. Lesson learned there. My aunt and her husband ride too they wear their leather gear and helmet while riding.

Learn what counter steering is and buy the best safety equipment you can and USEIT EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU GET ON THAT BIKE! Make sure you have good medical insurance and insure your bike with as much PiP as you can. Enjoy your ride, but always be prepared.

Levi,

Luckily you weren’t killed.

I know a woman who’s husband was killed when an elderly man made a left turn in front of him. Her husband was out on a Sunday ride just enjoying his Harley and got the terrible news.

So you deliberately crashed your bike to try and avoid a crash?

Laid my bike down in an attempt to keep from broadsiding the car. Had already lost a good friend who died when he collided with a car that had suddenly turned in front of him, cutting him off. Just what was happening to me at the time.

Not concerned if you approve.

Levi,

Luckily you weren’t killed.

I know a woman who’s husband was killed when an elderly man made a left turn in front of him. Her husband was out on a Sunday ride just enjoying his Harley and got the terrible news.

Yes sir, I was very fortunate.

Yes sir, I was very fortunate.

Laid my bike down in an attempt to keep from broadsiding the car. Had already lost a good friend who died when he collided with a car that had suddenly turned in front of him, cutting him off. Just what was happening to me at the time.

Not concerned if you approve.
That's fine but you allude to see previous training. I'm sure the instructor didn't include the ancient and bad advice to "lay her down".
Any modern bike, like built after 1970, is going to stop and maneuver better with the rider at the controls versus sliding along side it on the tarmac.

That's fine but you allude to see previous training. I'm sure the instructor didn't include the ancient and bad advice to "lay her down".
Any modern bike, like built after 1970, is going to stop and maneuver better with the rider at the controls versus sliding along side it on the tarmac.

The reality is that just about everyone riding can improve their riding skills further. Emergency braking isn't practiced enough, and is one of the most important skills to practice.

As you correctly state, any bike will stop shorter, if it is on it's tires, and the brakes are being applied fully.

Back