Taking care of animals....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airgun: What a great thing you are doing! Pets are a great responsibility that one should never take lightly, or take for granted. Dogs especially are a special trust since their love for us is so unconditional and enduring. They come into this world just as we do, innocent and dependent. When they come into our personal lives all that most dogs require to thrive is some love and attention. That you are providing that to them in the absence of your mother says more about you than anything else that could be said for you. I once heard a quote that I've never forgotten: "A gentleman is a type of man who is always kind to women, children, and dogs...especially when he doesn't have to be!" That quote sounds a lot like you!

People who are good to animals and their family are always wonderful people. I've found the way you can judge someone's character is to see how they treat animals and their family.

You are a wonderful person Airgun.

Thank you very much and I am excited to explore this if I can tomorrow. It would be a real blessing if I could get her back to just a fraction of the way she used to be as it really is something that bothers me. She is very special and at times I feel as if we let her down.

Thanks to you all for your kind words and it has really helped me with my anxiety over all of this. Sometimes you just don't feel as if you can make a difference and its nice to have renewed faith. I know my mother and father were tortured as well over this situation. Thank you my friends!!!

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I think that's wonderful that you're taking care of her!

smile.gif

I have a German Shepherd who had some slight to medium ACL tears and my veterinarian performed prolotherapy ( http://integrativeveterinarycenter.com/services/veterinary-prolotherapy/ ) for a fraction of the cost of surgery and she she runs and plays just as she did before injuring herself. Just a suggestion if it's at all a possibility.

Ed

The GF has taken in cats from her aunt and mom. She just adds them to her existing heard. It's not a problem. If I ever move in with her that will also add more.

Thank you for caring sir. They are lucking pets to have you take care of them. It takes effort and is often difficult because they are used to one person and all have there own routine that is now changed. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
When we bring a creature into our family we feel an obligation not only to care for it but to be sure the creature will always be cared for. The look on a creature's face when it's warm bed and food are not there any longer is hard to take, and we won't allow that to happen.

My huge black longhair cat, Wolf, had that happen to him. His "humans" let him roam around outdoors between meals, which is how I made his acquaintance. Then the "humans" got evicted, and left him behind to wander from door to door for handouts. He was quite pleased when I brought him to live with me.

I don't think they ever abused him, other than the abandonment, but I don't think they cared very much for him either.

ETA: When my mother passed away in Nov. of '86, I managed to corral and bring home her little tricolor cat. It took the cat, age 12 at that time, three weeks to get over her shock, but then one day she trotted out without hesitation and sprang into my lap. Not only was rescuing her necessary, it was my duty, as I'd been the one to bring the kitten home 12 years before.

The point, Airgun, is you're doing the right thing. Good work.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I have been taking care of my mothers animals now going on 7 weeks. ( she is in a nursing home)
It is a bummer because they don't understand what's going on. I would have taken
the Australian Shepherd home with me but she is house bound because of leg injuries and
can no longer get in a car. I'm taking great care of them but it bothers me....

They have never been left before as my folks really never traveled.
Anybody else dealing with this?

How old is your Mom's dog? What sort of leg injury does the dog have? Perhaps it's treatable?

smile.gif

Ed

Believe it or not, dogs experience joint pain and such as they age, much like we do! I see many older dogs, wise with wisdom and age, whiter faces, they walk slower, they still have all the love and loyalty of a pup albeit less rambunctious, just senior citizen dogs. I pray they never pass of the cancer.
frown.gif

Good question, if there is treatment available for joints?

Early in April, in the parking lot of my apartment complex, I spotted a skinny little black short-haired cat. He was not feral; he trotted right up to me, squeaking. I made a point of putting some dry food out for him, and again a few days later.

The third time I saw him, he was sick. He looked like somebody with the superflu from Stephen King's The Stand, and you could hear his chest rattle as he breathed. Clearly no one was taking care of him, and just as clearly he might die soon. I got him into a carrier and brought him to the local SPCA.

The SPCA worked hard on him, discovering he was FIV+, had an upper respiratory infection, and tooth troubles. He even gained a little weight. But the time came 2 weeks ago when they realized he was not rallying from his infections . . . and so they decided to put him to sleep. I tell myself he at least had 5 weeks of a comfortable indoor life, regular food and water, human attention, and no cars to run him over or coyotes to prey on him.

They'd asked me if I wanted to name him. The name I'd been using, "Skinny Puss," would not get him adopted. So I settled on "Paladin": He wore black, and he was "a knight without armor in a savage land."

I hope this will count to my credit in the hereafter.

Thank you sir. I still miss Midnight and his replacement Cleo. Middy was black but for a white patch on his throat. Cleo wore a tuxedo. Dunno about later on, but you made points in the here and now. Doing good is good for you
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back