Taking a road trip in a 2017 Caddy XT5

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Will be interesting to see how it compares to my 2017 Honda and lexus hybrid, and what kind of performance and economy I get from the American 3.5 SUV and 8 speed.

So far it feels little "equinoxy".

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the XTS, not the XT5.

I had a short time with an XT5 a few years ago in Arizona.
I promptly returned to Enterprise and swapped it for an S60.
For a Caddy, it felt quite "underwhelming"

After about 500 miles its not too bad, this one is the premium version (for whatever thats worth) 20" wheels and the bigger screen cooled seats...

The mill has a lot more low end than the honda 3.5 easily pulling top gear without downshifts.Its extremely long legged - 500+ miles on a tank and gets better mileage than my lexus, or ridgeline likely due to the 8 speed.

I saw 27.9 at 80 on cruise for 4 hours straight today on the dash - didnt measure at the pump and I didnt start out with a full tank.
Pretty easy to beat 30mpg at 70.

The lane keeping assist is a joke so is the following distance... the lights all go on and the controls activate but I cant sense they do anything - my honda is far superior in terms of driver aids.

Cant figure out what the green and orange car silhouettes that light up and go away are about.

It almost never goes into 4 cylinder mode above 50 where I can get my ridge to cruise at 60 on a flat running on 3.

In town when it does flip to 4 there is no discernible vibration like the hondas scheme.

The dashboard " leather" is warped a bit from the heat.

I'll post up some picts later.

After 1200 miles 70/30 highway I'm pretty impressed with the rig as a package.
The 3.6 and 8 speed were golden. The package feels a lot like a well balanced small block.

The trans is firm without being harsh, kicks down just like I wanted, and mill howls great under full throttle.
Its stout enough to pull at 80MPH in top gear without a downshift, but you get the downshift when and ow you'd expect with a bit of push.
I only ever felt a bit of jerkiness in town with the stop start nonsense normal running was great.

Its pretty fast, and runs pretty cheap and has long legs- 500+ miles a tank even at 80MPH.
The entire trip I averaged 25.6. The freeway speeds were 75-80 for hours on end.
This is cheaper than my smaller Hybrid lexus RX 400H would do it.

I started with the OLM at 78% and ended at 72%.

Only downsides were - the weird shifter.
The driver aids are markedly inferior to hondas.
Maybe this got better in later years?

IMG_2291.jpeg

My wife and I took one of these on a trip. We thought it was great....for a RDX sized vehicle.

What kind of rental company is renting out 5 year old cars?

My wife and I took one of these on a trip. We thought it was great....for a RDX sized vehicle.

What kind of rental company is renting out 5 year old cars?

It's a company car, I just never grabbed the keys before.
I always used our other 2 cars, a mercedes or surburban.

Back