Take a guess on the problem

First off let me state I dont work on cars anymore unless it's really simple, age related.
2002 Blazer with 108K miles original plugs and wires.
I was given it free a couple months ago.
Lately it is hard to cold start, warm start no problem.
It's going to a shop on the 31st.
Take your best shot and I'll report back with what they found.

Have you tried a fuel treatment? Injectors are a little blocked and slow. Fuel system losing pressure overnight. Replace fuel pump.

W
Have you tried a fuel treatment? Injectors are a little blocked and slow. Fuel system losing pressure overnight. Replace fuel pump.
When I got it I ran 2 bottles of Techron and followed it with 2 bottles of MMO.
And a couple of Italian tune ups.
Fuel pump is 20 years old as far as I know, could be.

Spark plugs wires and cap and coil. Probably never been changed.
It was in the same family since new and they said plugs, wires cap and rotor were original.
I got it free and it cost $75 to register it and $100 for a new battery, so what ever it costs to fix I'm way ahead.
And it's a Colorado vehicle and it looks good and of course no rust.
It's worth fixing.

Has the fuel filter ever been changed
Probably no, I dont know.
As far as I'm concerned the shop can change out the plugs,wires,rotor,cap and fuel filter but they said lets diagnose it first.
This shop maintains the 40 or so vehicles my company has and if they trust them so do I.

Fuel pressure gauge will best the best tool in diagnosing the issue.

After you solve the starting issue, I'd the cap & rotor, plugs, wires when you get a chance, would probably run better afterwards.

Include the engine/trannie combo with questions; it helps. How many miles has this vehicle had to digest your additives?

Does it have a Crankshaft Positioning Sensor....one with a magnet which weakens?

Check the throttle body for goo. Air filter original? Vacuum leak anywhere?

Last edited:
If it is original plugs, rotor, etc... go threw and give it a good tune up and change fuel filter. It still giving you a fit, then look at fuel pressure and maybe a new pump if it has poor pressure.

4.3L on these are notorious for getting moisture in the distributor.
But since you made no mention of any "Service Engine Soon" lights on I would say it is something simple like a weak battery.

Walk around the rig when it's full hot and key off. A leaking spider/poppet injector will make it reek of fuel just minutes after shutdown. Also as other keen minds noted, suspect a clogged inline filter. And/or check fuel pressure at key-on, engine off... and how fast (If you have a pressure gage attached) it leaks down.

If it leaks down fast, suspect a poor check valve in fuel pump, these trucks eats them and fuel pumps and regulators like candy.

Remove upper intake and inspect. If you see gold colored washing, while everything has a good patina of oil... suspect fuel regulator and poppet Assy. leak... it can happen in the hoses leading away from the spider injector.

If you service any top end injection, or even suspect the tank sender? Still... just overhaul the whole system from sending unit, sock, inline filter, FPR and the spider injecting set. Only because a lot of it is simply plastic and Teflon that gets old and crunchy over X-years. A fix/upgrade anywhere along the line can stress and break aged components.

After I fixed mine from tail to nose? I could have welded the engine lid shut. I had a leaky Fuel Pressure Regulator, and a poppet tube. So I grabbed those up, an inline filter and a fuel sending module with new pump and sock. Never looked at it again in the decade after until the truck was totalled out from under me.

Edit: The ignition system on these are pretty robust. If the wires are old and cracked looking when you fold it over a finger, replace. If plugs are worn, replace. If the rotor button and/or cap look to be carbon traced or cracked, replace.

But the biggie is if it stinks like gas after a hot run and a few minutes after letting it rest. If you smell the hot, heavy stink of fuel, do a full fuel injection service. Follow with tried and true ignition tuneup. A full plug, wire, rotor and cap swap. Wait... you said 2002?

I'm thinking 1995. A hard start or several key-on-key-off cycles could get a weak spider/FPR to build up until it fired. A 2K2 is likely port fuel injected. No more spider. But much diagnostics are the same. You need a hair under 58psi for it to catch and fire from the FSM. No more cap and rotor either. Likely a plug near coil setup akin to LSx series engines. These are Tonka tough, yet a bad plug, coil pack or shorty ignitor wire can make them hard to start... or trigger misfire at high speed.

If not suffering from low compression, low fuel pressure and/or fuel pressure bleed; then start testing the actual full operating pressure of the system. Easily tested by removing the vacuum line from the FPR and letting it hit full operating pressure. (60 PSI @ Idle)

Last edited:
4.3L on these are notorious for getting moisture in the distributor.
But since you made no mention of any "Service Engine Soon" lights on I would say it is something simple like a weak battery.
Forgot that about the check engine light.
According to the previous owner it comes on and go's off all the time,he just ignored it.
Moisture in the distributor-it has been snowy and rainy here last couple days.
The battery is a couple months old,it cranks strong.

Back