Takata Airbag Recall..."Loaner car" Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I hear ya. It just amazes me that IIRC it was 2013 they knew there was a problem, and in my case, 2016 they were still using the defective airbags. Does that mean that they made enough defective airbags in 2013, to supply cars, trucks, and SUVs with defective airbags three model years later? And were allowed to get away with it? Unless I'm missing something, they either had enough bad airbags in the supply chain, or continued turning out bad bags years after they knew. The company should go bust, and people responsible for the crime spend some time in jail.

You're missing a lot. A lot of news, litigation, fines, etc. For example, 3 Takata executives have been indicted. So you say people responsible should go to jail. They might just.

The short story is, Takata had no production tracking or controls, and so, had no idea when they started, or stopped, making defective airbags. If they kept the records they were required to keep, we would have seen targeted recalls.

Instead they dragged their feet until risking getting fined out of existence for not complying. Then they admitted their lack of records. Then they said they couldn't afford the recall. So the car manufacturers had to step in to fund the recall, they had to, because there was no airbag manufacturer that could fill the void if Takata goes out of business.

It's all in the last 3 years of news. Try reading it sometime.

My friend had a new Civic loaner for 3 months last summer. He showed up in a CRV and they couldn't turn him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back