Taiyo Yuden is now JVC Advanced Media...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like only way to get genuine TY DVDc / CDs is now to buy JVC branded ones...Hopefully quality remains the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-Silver...taiyo+yuden+dvd

Going to order some from above link, as I need to burn some installation ISOs, make some factory recovery DVDs, and store some important documents, etc.

Other options for good quality DVDs are to import "That's" brand (TY's own brand in Japan) from Japan.

...or buy Verbatim DataLife PLUS brand - available on amazon
(made by Mistubishi media, COO can be Singapore or Taiwan, and still genuine Mitsubishi).

TY and Mitsubishi are the top brands for archival quality DVD blank media according to this here:
(scroll down to see class 1, class 2 etc- bolded Manufacturers are currently producing):

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

CHART (for Class 1 DVD media):

The TY/JVC joint venture has been that way for quite a few years now. You can still buy TY discs at SuperMediaStore and a few other places. The Verbatim AZO I've had to order through Amazon like you mentioned and I've also seen them at Newegg. All the upper tier media has to be ordered nowadays.

Recent TDKs have been Ritek F16-01.

Last edited:
Nah, walmart and harbor freight DVDs are just as good. Nobody will live long enough for it to matter, and the discs will need to be replaced before too long regardless.

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
For DVD backup, which is preferred, -R or +R and does it matter?
I never really understood why there the different types.
TI
AWayne

http://www.supermediastore.com/blog/article/beginner-buying-guide-to-dvd-media

http://dvr.about.com/od/dvdrecordableformats/f/faq4.htm

Wiki:
Quote:
DVD+R discs must be formatted before being recorded by a compatible DVD video recorder. DVD-R do not have to be formatted before being recorded by a compatible DVD video recorder, because the two variants of the discs are written in different formats (see DVD+VR and DVD-VR respectively).

The DVD+R format is divergent from the DVD-R format. Hybrid drives that can handle both, often labeled 'DVD±RW', are very popular since there is not a single standard for recordable DVDs. There are a number of significant technical differences between the 'dash' and the 'plus' format, although most users would not notice the difference. One example is that the DVD+R style Address In Pregroove (ADIP) system of tracking and speed control is less susceptible to interference and error, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds than the Land Pre Pit (LPP) system used by DVD-R. In addition, DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media, independent of the quality of the media. The practical upshot is that a DVD+R writer is able to locate data on the disc to byte accuracy whereas DVD-R is incapable of such precision.

Additional session linking methods are more accurate with DVD+R(W) versus DVD-R(W), resulting in fewer damaged or unusable discs due to buffer under-run and multi-session discs with fewer PI/PO errors.

Like other 'plus' media, it is possible to change the book type to increase the compatibility of DVD+R media (though unlike DVD+RW, it is a one way process). This is also known as bitsetting.

Last edited:
It has been *years* since I had a need to burn a CD; I probably have still hundreds of TY blanks stashed somewhere in the attic and basement!

Thanks 97tbird,

I guess it doesn't matter what format I use. I need to buy a stack of DVD's and do a complete backup for safety, so I can make some changes to my system.

Wayne

Yeah I am thinking of a fresh Win 7 install on my laptop, that's why I also need some. And to make a recovery DVD set for my wife's laptop, just to have them done, in case we ever need those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back