Tailgate nets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have them on their pickup trucks? I'm looking to replace my tailgate with one of these due to the rash of tailgate thefts here. My tailgate does have a lock, but thieves here will just destroy it if they can't get to it.

Ebay is where I'd start.

My dad had one on his 88 Silverado. Then he went to a fabricator and had a custom tailgate built made from heavy guage square tubing and heavy wire mesh (expanded metal?), and had it painted in the truck's factory color. So then he had the best of both worlds...the durability of the truck's factory tailgate with the airflow of a net.

Thats really sad that they would destroy it if they couldn't get it off. I don't understand why someone would want the tailgate anyway... then again, several years ago, someone stole the bedliner out of my truck at our local mall....

I'd look into securing the tailgate to your truck... maybe use hex bolts or tack weld them in place.. something to deter them away. My ultimate car alarm would shock the morons just like a taser.

Who steals truck tailgates ! ?

Guess low-life people who keep backing into things with their truck?

Using special bolts/nuts would seem the ticket. You could rig a simple contact switch alarm, which would sound (horn) if someone lowered the tailgate. Put a hidden on-off switch on it.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Who steals truck tailgates ! ?

Guess low-life people who keep backing into things with their truck?

Same people that would steal catalytic converters...

Tailgates are a hot commodity here. Local laborers use their personal trucks for work, end up destroying their own tailgates, and drive around looking for compatible 'donors'.

Wonder if they make a "tailgate monkey".
grin2.gif

I think it would be difficult to prove an adavantage of a net over a standard tailgate. I read a report in the past that showed it had both negative and positive results on different trucks.

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
I think it would be difficult to prove an adavantage of a net over a standard tailgate. I read a report in the past that showed it had both negative and positive results on different trucks.

I think the OP is just looking for a way to keep the cargo in his truck without having to replace his tailgate which would prolly be stolen again, rather than a boost in mileage.

The main thing I would be concerned about is how well the rest of the bed will be supported. Over time that might damage the bed side supports since the sides will move more.

dude tailgates are expensive. on certain ford trucks you have to order each part individually and then get them painted. its always fun when sales takes one in for trade without a tailgate, we have such a high turnover of sales people that the story does not make it to the newbs.

around here thiefs have taken to removing the spares from Jeep Rubicons. You get 4 or 5 you have a nice set of tires and wheels. The jeeps at local dealers that still have spares have cable locks on them too.

Wow! Darn crooks out there!

I'd look into beefing up your security on the tailgate, and parking your truck where you can get a webcam on it, along with a big sign saying your property is under video surveillance.

Whenever my dad brought home a company pickup (no garage space for it) he would back it up against the garage door so there was no room to get in behind it and even open the tailgate, much less steal it. Do you have a wall, etc. you could do that with?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Wow! Darn crooks out there!

I'd look into beefing up your security on the tailgate, and parking your truck where you can get a webcam on it, along with a big sign saying your property is under video surveillance.

My truck has an aftermarket alarm on it, so it might be possible to wire a magnetic sensor into the tailgate.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
dude tailgates are expensive. on certain ford trucks you have to order each part individually and then get them painted. its always fun when sales takes one in for trade without a tailgate, we have such a high turnover of sales people that the story does not make it to the newbs.

How much for an F250 tailgate?

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Whenever my dad brought home a company pickup (no garage space for it) he would back it up against the garage door so there was no room to get in behind it and even open the tailgate, much less steal it. Do you have a wall, etc. you could do that with?

I have two pickup trucks so I can park them back to back. That technique will be kinda useless if I take the truck out and park into an open driveway or someone elses driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back