Tail Strikes ?

Not everyone is that snippy. I recall LAS-OAK going home with the family on a Christmas day. Raining buckets outside and the wind was just nasty that we could tell that the pilot was fighting it. And of course a 737 which I get that you don't like for its stubby landing gear. We didn't land smoothly, but as soon as we figured that we were down safely, passengers started to applaud.
The 737 hides a great multitude of sins with that landing gear. It casters. So, a bit of crab, or drift on touchdown, and the Guppy hides it, making the pilots look good.

What would be a smooth touchdown in a 737 can be a lurching, uncomfortable landing in a 757/767. With landing gear that actually works (you know brakes, long enough to prevent the tail from striking, etc.) you can't hide that like you can on a Guppy.

That British Airways pilot who banged the tail, should take a few lessons from this guy! How do you spell crosswind?

Osaka can have fierce crosswinds when the wind comes across the bay.

That was a good crosswind landing. Right on centerline. In the touchdown zone.

But he touched down in a crab, a crab that Boeing recommends for their airplanes when the crosswind is above 25 knots, but a crab nonetheless, and when the tires hit the pavement in a crab, they side load the gear.

That landing, while I liked it, and was what Boeing recommends for handling those conditions, probably felt a bit rough to the passengers.

In the US, I guarantee some dipstick passengers would say something critical about that landing. The Japanese are too polite. And they’ve probably been to Osaka before.

But he touched down in a crab, a crab that Boeing recommends for their airplanes when the crosswind is above 25 knots, but a crab nonetheless, and when the tires hit the pavement in a crab, they side load the gear.

That landing, while I liked it, and was what Boeing recommends for handling those conditions, probably felt a bit rough to the passengers.

In the US, I guarantee some dipstick passengers would say something critical about that landing. The Japanese are too polite. And they’ve probably been to Osaka before.

I thought it was phenomenal!

What really caught my eye was the all but endless urban sprawl, passing by in the background. I can't even imagine how many people live in that city.

Until I found the 787 video I posted above, I always thought this was one of the best crosswind landings ever.... In a 747 no less. That has got to be hard on the gear!

Kai Tak was one of the craziest airports in the world. Never landed there before, as I got there by train from mainland China. The TV show Pan Am featured that, although the checkerboard pattern on the hill would have been nice if they could have included it. It starts around 31 minutes, but they do a pretty good job of dramatizing how difficult it was. The first officer complains that they should have aborted and flown safely to Singapore.

****! Who designed this approach?

Satan.

414c9f1a-5f5a-11e9-b745-17e2afcf325c_image_hires_172439.jpg

I remember flying into that airport in the 90’s. That’s the Itami airport. It was pretty old then. Dark inside too. The terminal still had one of those old reader boards where the letter and numbers would move with a clacking sound. It displayed the arrivals and departures.

The videos are why I love to go to the airport and watch the airliners land . The planes taking off and landing , I look up and see them cruising at altitude amazes me more that any car racing [ the car racers skill is awesome Top fuel is well almost the best to me.] Those planes are huge and fast . Incredible.

I remember flying into that airport in the 90’s. That’s the Itami airport. It was pretty old then. Dark inside too. The terminal still had one of those old reader boards where the letter and numbers would move with a clacking sound. It displayed the arrivals and departures.

The Italian company Solari di Udine was the big maker. I don't see anything listed now, but I believe they made the boards at the San Francisco Ferry Building. They're mostly showing the big dot sign displays, even though a lot of airports have moved to just using video screens.

My parents used to have a flip clock with an AM/FM radio - a JC Penney branded one. It even had a small vacuum tube inside that I could see glowing. Might have also had weather band.

I’ve got one landing at Kai Tak - summer of ‘98 in a 747-400.

It was challenging, like the Canarsie visual to JFK, but with mountains.

My one trip to Hong Kong was in the 80s and a group of us took the tram to Victoria Peak and watched the planes land at Kai Tak at night. It was insane. Not just the crosswinds, the buildings, and the approach, but just a single runway.

Couldn't have been as bad as China Airlines 605.

chine-airlines-605-3.jpg

Back