Tail Strikes ?

I was reading where Concorde had a wheel designed into the back belly of the fuselage, to prevent damage from over rotation on takeoff, that would prevent a tail strike. That seemed like a really good idea. How come other aircraft builders like Boeing and Airbus never elaborated on that design?

I can't imagine what it would cost to repair a bad tail strike on a large airplane, but it certainly can't be cheap. Not to mention possible air frame damage. If I remember correctly, Japan Airlines Flight 123 crashed because of a faulty repair made to the bulkhead, that was due to a tail strike, that took place earlier in the planes flight history. That accident alone killed 520 people.

The only Concorde to crash hit a large piece of i believe Engine Cowl from the previous plane, the metal ruptured a tire and large pieces of tire hit the underside of the plain resulting in a fire in the fuel tanks which were full for takeoff.

Being a Delta wing aircraft the landing angle Flair is quite severe as compared to a regular swept wing airliner

Last edited:
Not a wheel, but protection nonetheless.
Screenshot_20220108-152716-083.jpg

The placement of the tailskid on certain 737 versions is kind of odd. You pretty much hit the belly and tailskid at the same time (when landing), damaging the fuselage. You’d think they’d move the tailskid further forward and let the tailskid take up all the impact 🤷🏼‍♂️

737-800
3B2BE355-AAAE-44D3-80EF-EACC6A6B29A3.jpeg

The 737 MAX10 has longer landing gear - hopefully that helps a bit.

Last edited:
If I remember right, even a Cessna 150 had a sacrificial tab at the tail in case a student pilot over rotated or blew soft field take-off training on an asphalt runway.

I don't think that little bit necessarily protects anything. They specifically tested prototypes for tail strikes knowing that it would scrape against the runway.

tumblr_o3mdysEXQQ1trvc68o1_640.jpg

This says that they protected the tail area with a steel skid plate since the body is most carbon fiber in the tail area.

They aren't testing for tail strikes.

They are testing a datapoint known as "minimum unstick" - it's partly a control evaluation and partly an evaluation of aerodynamic model accuracy. It's part of the development of takeoff performance data.

The tail has to be protected as it will hit the runway during a minimum unstick test, but they're not testing tailstrike or the airplane resistance to tailstrike.

The placement of the tailskid on certain 737 versions is kind of odd. You pretty much hit the belly and tailskid at the same time (when landing), damaging the fuselage. You’d think they’d move the tailskid further forward and let the tailskid take up all the impact 🤷🏼‍♂️

737-800
View attachment 84718

The 737 MAX10 has longer landing gear - hopefully that helps a bit.

The tailskid isn't designed, or intended, to protect against a tailstrike on landing.

The tailskid is to protect against a tailstrike on takeoff.

The geometry is different in those two cases, as are the potential impact forces involved.

Have there been airliners written off due to bad tailstrikes? Or are they usually always repairable?
Lots of write-offs have happened as a result of bad landings. Some were tailstrikes, some, well, just bad.

This 767 for example:

I don't know the statistics, but most tail strikes on takeoff are repairable. They tend to be more of a scrape, less structural damage.

Back