Tahoe 5.3 vs tundra 4.7 oil color

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all of our vehicles run on the same oil, m1 0w30 afe.
. My wife is alot easier on her 2016 Tahoe than I am on my tundra. She has 3k miles on this oil change it's at 56% according to the dash. That didnt sound right so I checked it, it is pretty dang black! My tundra has 9k mules on its oil with alot of extended idling and I pull trailers, etc. Plus my truck was ordered with a 4.30 rear gear and hers has a 3.08 gear. I'm 2200 rpm @ 70 mph, she is 1600rpm so one would think my oil would look alot worse. My tundra has 260k miles and doesnt burn a drop of oil....... are the Chevy LS style engines just hard on oil? I planned to run 10k on hers just like mine, but I dont even think it will make 7k.........
Love my tundra btw!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Been using the GM OLM's for years … two things that GM will blacken is the oil and the tailpipe …

Calling on Clinebarger … Why do the GM's historically do that … BiL's did for the whole 400k he drove it on the same motor and transmission …

Originally Posted by Zee09
You went against the internet brain trust with that 4.7L-4.6 Toyoder.
How many mpg you getting if you don't mind?

Haha, I dont ever check mpg, it's pretty bad..... I use it in town, around the farm and extended idling, it averages 9-10 mpg just looking at the trip meter versus the gas pump. It gets about 18 mpg if I keep it af 65mph..... we tested it in a trip to Louisiana from Texas......
It's been a dang good truck and will drive it until the wheels fall off. I'll keep fixing it until a catastrophic failure occurs..... my dad has one and it has almost 500k. He is a traveling registered nurse. Only thing he has had to do was some coil packs and some sensors..... about the same as mine. Warranty covered my MAF sensor a week after I drove it off the lot, other than replacing u-joints, struts and shocks, she has been a good'in!

Why is the 4.6 so less popular than the 5.7 even when no pulling (trailers) is involved? I'd have thought the 4.6 would have plenty of power without going up to the 5.7. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Pelican
Why is the 4.6 so less popular than the 5.7 even when no pulling (trailers) is involved? I'd have thought the 4.6 would have plenty of power without going up to the 5.7. Am I missing something?

Besides the fact that Toyota tundras have 4.7s I dont think so....
But I have driven a few of the newer tundras with the 5.7 and 6 speed, they are nice and really fast.... prolly faster than the Ford EcoBoost f-150

Originally Posted by dave1251
One oil color has no bearing on oil condition. Two your better half does not have a LS engine. It's the L83.

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l83/amp/

A l83 is in fact a LS-1 style engine that is highly advanced from its earlier sibling. Displacement on demand, direct injection and variable cam timing dont change anything for me....Hence the reason I used the word ls STYLE....

Last edited:
Sorry I can't add anything about the oil, but those Tahoe gears sound way high. My '01 5.3 Silverado has 3.42s and they seem too high in some situations. I think I run 2100-2200 at either 70 or 75. Of course, mine is a dinosaur with a first-gen 5.3 and 4-speed.

Different engines, different emissions layout (EGR), of course some oils may look darker than with other engines even with lower mileage (OCI-wise).

Originally Posted by anndel
Different engines, different emissions layout (EGR), of course some oils may look darker than with other engines even with lower mileage (OCI-wise).

I was just fixing to ask if that sucker has EGR......
MY kubota m5-111 has egr and that oil is dark as tar after 50 hrs.....

My L83's have 3:42 and 3:08 … well under 2k at 70 mph …
My previous 5.3L with 4:10 and 4L60e was over 2k at 70 mph …

The L83 with 3:08 is actually faster … but that's about weight of the vehicles …

The 4.6 gains you about nothing in the mpg dept... like 1 mpg better in city and highway
Other than a lower price it pretty much isn't worth messing with.
Toyota really needs to update these trucks

Originally Posted by Zee09

The 4.6 gains you about nothing in the mpg dept... like 1 mpg better in city and highway
Other than a lower price it pretty much isn't worth messing with.
Toyota really needs to update these trucks

What's this mysterious 4.6L Toyota v-8 yall be talkin bout?

Originally Posted by Jmoney7269

Besides the fact that Toyota tundras have 4.7s I dont think so....
But I have driven a few of the newer tundras with the 5.7 and 6 speed, they are nice and really fast.... prolly faster than the Ford EcoBoost f-150

Originally Posted by dave1251
One oil color has no bearing on oil condition. Two your better half does not have a LS engine. It's the L83.

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l83/amp/

A l83 is in fact a LS-1 style engine that is highly advanced from its earlier sibling. Displacement on demand, direct injection and variable cam timing dont change anything for me....Hence the reason I used the word ls STYLE....

5.7 Tundra is close to the 5.7 Ram in performance which means unloaded they are the 4th slowest pickups against the GM 6.2 and Ford's 3.5 and 5.0.
When loaded and towing both the Ram and Tundra bring up the rear including behind the GM 5.3.

I guess better performance do nothing for you.

The 1st gen Tundra V8 is very easy on oil. Any oil.
I have 190K on our 2001; dang thing runs like new.
Everyone wants to buy it. It ain't for sale.

Fords have Ford problems, GM has GM problems, Rams have Ram problems .. I have over they years owned 4 Toyotas and like them .. I have owned 4 Ford trucks and I have liked them. I have owned 2 GM vehicles and I would not buy another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back