Tahoe 5.3 vs tundra 4.7 oil color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by Pelican
Why is the 4.6 so less popular than the 5.7 even when no pulling (trailers) is involved? I'd have thought the 4.6 would have plenty of power without going up to the 5.7. Am I missing something?

The 4.6 gains you about nothing in the mpg dept... like 1 mpg better in city and highway
Other than a lower price it pretty much isn't worth messing with.
Toyota really needs to update these trucks

What's this mysterious 4.6L Toyota v-8 yall be talkin bout?

They for some reason are talking about the 4.6 liter aluminum block 1UR-FE, which is available in '09 and newer Tundra's.

As you know, you have the 4.7 liter cast iron block 2UZ-FE.

Pelican said:
Why is the 4.6 so less popular than the 5.7 even when no pulling (trailers) is involved? I'd have thought the 4.6 would have plenty of power without going up to the 5.7. Am I missing something?

Besides the fact that Toyota tundras have 4.7s I dont think so....
But I have driven a few of the newer tundras with the 5.7 and 6 speed, they are nice and really fast.... prolly faster than the Ford EcoBoost f-150
dave1251 said:
So you have 4.7 and we have 4.6 as per this off Toyota website 2019 4X4 TUNDRA DBL CAB SR 4.6L. Why would they do that?
Just read a post below that explained that.

Someone said that the fuel consumption difference is minimal between the 4.6 & 5.7 and if this is the case then I can see why.

Last edited:

So you have 4.7 and we have 4.6 as per this off Toyota website 2019 4X4 TUNDRA DBL CAB SR 4.6L. Why would they do that?

Because the OP is talking about HIS 1st gen Tundra...

Contrary to all the old school wisdom, you can't judge the condition of a used motor oil by appearance. At least according to Pennzoil. Pennzoil has a Youtube video that addresses this very subject. Sorry, I looked for it so I could attach a link, and couldn't find it. But they really come down on those that claim to be able to determine oil condition by appearance.

Jmoney7269 said:
Pelican said:

But I have driven a few of the newer tundras with the 5.7 and 6 speed, they are nice and really fast.... prolly faster than the Ford EcoBoost f-150
Originally Posted by dave1251

Someone said that the fuel consumption difference is minimal between the 4.6 & 5.7 and if this is the case then I can see why.

Why are you attributing the quote of a 5.7 Tundra being faster than a 3.5 ecoboost?

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Zee09

The 4.6 gains you about nothing in the mpg dept... like 1 mpg better in city and highway
Other than a lower price it pretty much isn't worth messing with.
Toyota really needs to update these trucks

What's this mysterious 4.6L Toyota v-8 yall be talkin bout?

They for some reason are talking about the 4.6 liter aluminum block 1UR-FE, which is available in '09 and newer Tundra's.

As you know, you have the 4.7 liter cast iron block 2UZ-FE.

Oh, okay yeah I always thought it was a 4.7 and 5.7.... well then..... I still ain't ever gettin rid of it! Haha

Jmoney7269 said:
Pelican said:

Why are you attributing the quote of a 5.7 Tundra being faster than a 3.5 ecoboost?

If its geared like my truck with a 4.30 gear it would......
I would never own a truck with highway gears.... they pull like dogs
My buddy has a EcoBoost platinum and he only walks me past 50 mph and mine is only 275 factory hp with an old air intake and a unichip

Last edited:
Op,
Sounds like your Tahoe is DIrect Injection!?
If that's the case, oil can get dark quickly based on my experience with only one DI car and what I've read on the internet
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

None of our other cars (MFI engines) are like that!

Jmoney7269 said:
Pelican said:

If its geared like my truck with a 4.30 gear it would......
I would never own a truck with highway gears.... they pull like dogs
My buddy has a EcoBoost platinum and he only walks me past 50 mph and mine is only 275 factory hp with an old air intake and a unichip

I'm not calling shenanigans but your full of shenanigans.

So all of our vehicles run on the same oil, m1 0w30 afe.
My wife is alot easier on her 2016 Tahoe than I am on my tundra. She has 3k miles on this oil change it's at 56% according to the dash. That didnt sound right so I checked it, it is pretty dang black!

I checked the oil in my 2016 Tahoe a few days ago. The oil had exactly 5K miles on it at that time. It is just slightly dark amber and is still at the full point. The OLM is at 40%. I never had a vehicle that the oil was black at 3 or 5 or 7K miles. I do a combination if both highway and gridlock [Miami Beach is 24/7 gridlock] plus the a/c is constantly on as I just set it and forget it.

I use either Mobil 1 0w20 EP or Mobil 1 0w20 AFE with a AC Delco Filter.

most of this is repeated

1. oil color is a factor of combating oxidation. it has very little to do with oil condition.

2. I had that 4.7. three owners, at least 2 of us towed. we towed enough to chew up two wheel bearings, which says a lot about the load, not to mention every bearing on the driveshaft .. yet the engine and transmission were solid, solid solid. Compared to the F150 I have now, the toyota also used a lot more metal throughout the vehicle.

3. toyota made a 4.7, not a 4.6

4. GM V8 timing chain will contribute to more oil wear than the belt-timed yota. I'm interested to see how the F150 OLM reads with the chain-driven 2.7. It's pointing at 9-10,000m.

-m

Originally Posted by meep

3. toyota made a 4.7, not a 4.6

Sure they did-

2UZ-FE = 4.7 liter

1UR-FE = 4.6 liter

3UR-FE = 5.7 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back