Tacoma 2.7 oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much are you 2.7 owners putting back in on refill after a change? Manual says 5.7 quarts. Are you always putting that much back in or are just putting in around 5.5 or just overfilling a little with 6?

I have that engine in my 2001 Tacoma.

I usually buy 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 and then need an extra 1/2 quart to do the job.

Mine takes a little more than 5 quarts. That is right to the full line, not under or over. I use the wix filter.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84700 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Have 99 Tacoma with 2.4 L engine.
Will take what the book says at
5.7 Qts.
Fill with 5 and one half Qts.
Let sit over night and top up in the AM before start up.

My Dads always takes 6 quarts includeing what the filter holds. If you put 5.7 afer you run it and shut it off it is a bit low. We let it sit for about 10 minutes to drain back. His takes an even 6 quarts.

Throw in 5.5 qts start er up, check for leaks, and pressure, shut er down.
In the morning check the DS and add to full.
OR put in 5.5 qts and call er good till ya get time to check er.

No! The more oil you have the more stable your oil temps. You also get a larger buffer for contaminates. I find it odd that most modern engines have such small oil capacitys. My Camry holds 3.9 quarts of oil for a 2.4 I4.

Part of that is also a buffer. Trucks often find themselfs in oddball attitudes not often experinced by cars. This epecialy true if it is a 4X4. Trucks are often required to hual heavy loads.

Unfortunately packageing on cars take priority over common sense. The oil pans and filters keep getting smaller on most cars with the exception of luxury vechiles and those recomended extended drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back