Tachometer problems 99 Acura Cl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! My trusty steed Car Ram Rod tachometer has stopped working which really sucks. Here's a little bit of detail on the car is a 1999 Acura CL 2.3 with a 5speed trans and has 223xxx miles on him and runs like scalded cat. I can't think of anything else you might need to know. I did some looking around on the web and didn't find much. So any help would be very cool.

I assume the problem is the gauge and not that the sensors/ECU really think the engine isn't turning. What I would do is hookup a cheap OBD2 scanner and see what that reads and verify this is the case. Then it would be seeing if you can get just the tach or the whole gauge cluster of ebay/boneyard/etc.

Here is an update. The tach will jump around from 0rpms to around 3000 rpms. I'd hate to lose my odo reading of 223.550 miles. its a thing of pride for myself.

Ram Rod tach? Is there no OEM one? Wouldnt the odometer be in the OE cluster versus this?

This behavior is classic of the amplifier for a hall effect RPM sensor that we see all the time on MB diesels.

What is the nature of the pickup and electronics driving the tach?

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
The tach will jump around from 0rpms to around 3000 rpms.

Is this the original factory tachometer?

Is the Check Engine light on?

Are any other gauges not working?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ram Rod tach? Is there no OEM one? Wouldnt the odometer be in the OE cluster versus this?

This behavior is classic of the amplifier for a hall effect RPM sensor that we see all the time on MB diesels.

What is the nature of the pickup and electronics driving the tach?

I call My car 'Car Ram Rod'. The tachometer in question is a OEM peace I sure that the tach is electronic.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
The tach will jump around from 0rpms to around 3000 rpms.

Is this the original factory tachometer?

Is the Check Engine light on?

Are any other gauges not working?

Yes it's an OEM tach, there isn't a CEL on and all the other gauges work just fine.

Yes it's an OEM tach, there isn't a CEL on and all the other gauges work just fine.

Does your model have a distributor? If so, then there is probably an intermittent connection in the blue (or wht/blu) wire.

Alternatively, this can also mean an ignition control module ("igniter") going bad. Were that the case, you'd feel an engine miss when the tach bobbled around.

Has the engine been worked on recently?
Any recent collision damage?
Any aftermarket electrical accessories added?

First you will need to know if your sensors work properly. However, I more often see that the cluster failed.

Locate a good speedometer shop who can rebuild the cluster. They will not mess your miles, and you will pay $100-$200 depending on needs. They will make sure your odometer reading has not changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back