T6 in an SR20DET recommendation, and oil pressure fluctuation (video)

Hey guys. So I am running Rotella T6 5W-40now in my SR20DET making 250whp. I ran this oil because it tends to have a higher zinc content than PCMO. Any negative affects here? No catalysts.

Also, are these small fluctuations in my electric oil pressure gauge a sign of a bad main bearing?

I ran HDEO 10w-30 in my old 3000GT VR4 and CRX VTI, worked very well. I would run hdeo in older japanese performance cars without hesitation. As for your oil pressure gauge, it can be inaccurate like many aftermarked and even oem gauges. On 3000GT for instance the oil press gauge is famous for being inaccurate. If you are in doubt, measure the oil pressure with an accurate gauge, any decent shop/garage should have one that is calibrated. Also worn bearing give some rattling/knocking noise when they start to fail.

I'm not sure why an SR20 would need high zinc. Not sure I'd agree T6 is a good choice either. Plenty of Euro 5w-40's car oils to chose from if you want to run something heavier, why use a HDEO or diesel oil? I'm sure there are plenty of them living healthy lives on T6, but its really not the most appropriate choice.

For the oil pressure, the pickup is super close to the pan in these, I'd make sure the pan isnt dented, pushed in, etc and in otherwise good shape, and would even be tempted to remove it and see whats going on inside. I'm out of the Nissan world after having been deep in it for the better of 20+ years, but when you hear of any SR's having issues, seems like its always the bottom ends.... loose bearings, rod knock, etc.

I'm not sure why an SR20 would need high zinc. Not sure I'd agree T6 is a good choice either. Plenty of Euro 5w-40's car oils to chose from if you want to run something heavier, why use a HDEO or diesel oil? I'm sure there are plenty of them living healthy lives on T6, but its really not the most appropriate choice.

For the oil pressure, the pickup is super close to the pan in these, I'd make sure the pan isnt dented, pushed in, etc and in otherwise good shape, and would even be tempted to remove it and see whats going on inside. I'm out of the Nissan world after having been deep in it for the better of 20+ years, but when you hear of any SR's having issues, seems like its always the bottom ends.... loose bearings, rod knock, etc.
Why wouldn’t HDEO be a good choice? SR has a similar cam and rocker design to a flat tappet so that’s why I was looking at high zinc oils.

Look at the VOA for the CK-4 Rotella T6. A lot less zinc than the older mixes (CJ-4 and earlier) that the Subaru guys swore by.

I’m looking at trying the Valvoline Extreme Blue in my M2 engine, or just use a euro oil with high HTHS numbers.

Back