T-Bird 4.6L w/ hi mile oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be changing the oil for a friend. She drives a 95 T-Bird with the 4.6L SOHC engine. It has about 150k on the clock. I'm thinking of going to Wally's and geting Pennz 10W-30 High Mileage oil and a Motorcraft filter. Do you experts agree on this?

The car does have some consumption issues. It doesn't visibly smoke and I see no leaks on the concrete where it's parked, but the oil is going somewhere.

What say you? Thanks.

I can bet the reason the Tbird is consuming oil is because the valve guide seals are shot. 94 - 95 4.6s are notorious for it. Alot of people seem to say that thicker oil won't really help, the only thing to do is replace the seals. Also, in my experience, my Tbird really does not seem to like thicker oils, I'm actually thinking of going with Ford's recommendation and switch to a 20 weight.

He's correct. It's the valve guide seals.

I'm sure they're past the point that high mileage oil or autorx could fix them.

cool.gif
I would go with the Pennzoil HM 10w-30 and Motorcraft. Just keep an eye on the oil level if you can since it's burning oil.

The car will be driven in the California Sierra foothills. Coldest winter nights are about 25 degrees F. Is the 10W-30 still OK?

Yep, bad valve guide seals. This engine was made before the "fix".

In any event, in that climate, a 10w30 will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back