T-56 in GM - S.F. vs others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some fesh oil for my 2002 T-56 and the Spec. Form. products have caught my eye!

My plan was to run Redline D4ATF or GM Syncromesh but maybe SF has just the right stuff for me? Any T-56 owners out there using a SF oil? Which is the 'correct' one for this sensitive transmission?

Thanks

I'm using SF MTFGlide in my T-56. I like it very much. Over the years I've used many DexIII fluids and Redline's MTL and D4. In my case SF is the best I have found.

Tremec told me to not run Redline D4 ATF in the T56. They said the synchros do not like engaging at high rpms and will clash resulting in tranny failure. I thought this was BS since most I know use it. Not 4 months later shifting at the track from 2-3 the tranny locked up in 3rd gear. For a synthetic ATF Tremec recommends Mobil 1 ATF. After I rebuilt the Trans I have been using the M1 since.

I run the Redline High Temp ATF in my T5 and it's far better than it ever has been for shifting/highspeed driving. I have no complaints
smile.gif

fyi

From GM Techlink Sept 2003

quote:

Transmission Stuck in Gear

The 1997-2003 Corvette, or 1993-2002 Camaro and Pontiac Firebird equipped with the 6 speed manual transmission may exhibit the following.

Primary Condition
- Unable to shift out of fourth gear.

Other Conditions
- 3-4 upshift -- hard shift, gear clash, or block-out.
- 4-3 downshift -- hard shift, gear clash or block-out.
- 2-3 upshift -- hard shift, gear clash or block-out.
- third gear hop-out
- fourth gear hop-out.

Replace the aluminum 3-4 shift fork with an iron 3-4 shift fork. The part number of the iron shift fork as of July 9, 2003 is 88996653 and is available only through GMSPO.

The 3-4 synchronizer and 3-4 blocking ring should also be replaced at the same time.

Thanks for the link Mike! While rebuilding my tranny I added lotsa new goodies......Forged 3-4 shift fork, carbon fiber blocker rings, steel keys, treated synchros and a 30 spline Viper output shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back