System Memory Dumps

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
CCleaner shows I have 1.6 GB of system memory dumps in 12 files (type .dmp) on my laptop. Are these worth keeping for some reason - like Microsoft using them to help fix issues, etc ?

If you are not chasing an issue and the files are older, let them go.

If you are having issues with a program and have a service request open with the software vendor, they might help. Otherwise, they are just cruft taking up space.

I'd chuck 'em; especially if their creation date is well in the past. If I was bored enough and had the time/ inclination I might look at their creation dates and see if I could correlate them with some problem I had with my system around that time; ie. an application or system crash, or reported error from the OS.

Memory dump is just what is going on in your RAM when your computer last crashed. If you are not talking to the software developers who worked on the software you crashed on, it is useless.

I opened a few of the .dmp (dump files) with Notepad and can't really get much out of the text. The biggest dump file is old, and is 1.5 GB of the 1.6 GB total.

Smoked 'em all. ☠️

I opened a few of the .dmp (dump files) with Notepad and can't really get much out of the text. The biggest dump file is old, and is 1.5 GB of the 1.6 GB total.

Smoked 'em all. ☠️
It is binary / hex, not ASCII text, so text editor won't see anything interesting. You can download a hex editor and then search for some keyword if you want some fun, but it is just what was in the RAM when you crashed.

Back