Synthetics: Mobil1 and Chevron 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading over the spec sheets for M1 and Chevron Supreme Synthetic in 10w-30 wt, (the one not branded as "blend", but rather the "true" synthetic, whatever "true synthetic" means anymore!
smile.gif
) it looks like the Chevron has a higher flash point, higher Kinematic Viscosity at 100C, and a lower pour point in winter. The higher flash point means a good deal to me since I have one of those Toyota V6 models.

BUT, can the Chevron Synthetic last for a 5K drain in a Toyota V6? I'm currently using M1 10w-30 and will perform an UOA when the mileage hits 5K, but it's the price of M1 around here...$4.00 + TN tax is $4.50 per quart is the cheapest I've seen at WalMart.

I know M1 has a strong following (and might asking for an uphill battle against using M1) but is there solid evidence that backs up the Chevron synth's numbers? Anyone else using this oil in conjunction with extended drains?

The Chevron oil meets ACEA A1, which is NOT an extended drain spec. Mobil 1 meets ACEA A5, which IS an extended drain spec. Case closed.
grin.gif

quote:

The Chevron oil meets ACEA A1, which is NOT an extended drain spec. Mobil 1 meets ACEA A5, which IS an extended drain spec.

On a 97-02 Toyota V6 3.0l sludge monster, I would consider anything over 3k an extended drain. If M1 is working for you in the UOA I wouldn't try to go to a lesser cheaper oil just to save a few bucks. I personally went from the $4 M1 10w-30 to the $9 Amsoil 0w030 to give it a try and see if I can get even more protection in my Toyota V6. This engine can be tough on oil.

Thanks for the clarification on the spec difference between the 2 of them. I just started using M1 10-30 now at the urging of others on this board from a previous post I placed. I'll do a UOA at 4k to find out more about this oil in this particular engine.

I like the idea of using Amsoil in this engine. Looks like it's worth the money if you plan on keeping the vehicle for many years.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
The Chevron oil meets ACEA A1, which is NOT an extended drain spec. Mobil 1 meets ACEA A5, which IS an extended drain spec. Case closed.
grin.gif

Does the german syntec meet specs for extended drains? I'd like to try that for my next oil change. Also one more question if you don't mind: I've read in some posts about cross-compatibility between synthetic brands of oil. How about switching between regular and dino between changes? Here's my situation: I have to have my dealer do my oil changes for warranty issues (2004 Toyota Sienna). I don't know and don't want to ask what type of oil they put in the car. At the earliest possible time - usually a few days after I drain the dino oil and put in synthetic. Will this practice cause any problems in the future? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and sorry to hijack you post a little bit ToyotaNSaturn.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:
Does the german syntec meet specs for extended drains?

Yes. It's rated ACEA A3, MB 229.3, and BMW LL-01. These are all "extended drain" specs.

quote:

Here's my situation: I have to have my dealer do my oil changes for warranty issues (2004 Toyota Sienna)...Thanks and sorry to hijack you post a little bit ToyotaNSaturn.
smile.gif

Wow, Toyota won't honor the warranty on the new Siennas unless you change your oil with the dealer? WOW. That makes me wonder if the sludge issue will persist. I wound up keeping our 99 model after putting new tires and brakes on it. Runs great. And thanks to this board, no sludge in it, either!
grin.gif

No problem with hijacking--I wind up learning more than if we stayed on one topic.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Here's my situation: I have to have my dealer do my oil changes for warranty issues (2004 Toyota Sienna)...Thanks and sorry to hijack you post a little bit ToyotaNSaturn.
smile.gif

Wow, Toyota won't honor the warranty on the new Siennas unless you change your oil with the dealer? WOW. That makes me wonder if the sludge issue will persist. I wound up keeping our 99 model after putting new tires and brakes on it. Runs great. And thanks to this board, no sludge in it, either!
grin.gif

No problem with hijacking--I wind up learning more than if we stayed on one topic.
cheers.gif

They didn't specifically say that they will not honor warranties if they don't do the maintenance on the vehicle. But they didn't say that they will either so I'm just protecting my own interests. Plus we opted for the 3 year oil changes when we got the van. Besides since getting the minivan we've been doing road trips almost every two weeks. I'd like to get a little bit more protection in the engine besides the regular dealer's dino oil. The Siennas are great vans. Don't know why we waited this long to get one.
grin.gif

quote:

The Siennas are great vans. Don't know why we waited this long to get one.
grin.gif

I agree. Outside of the sludge issue, I can't believe I can get 22+MPG at 85mph with the A/C on going thru east Tennessee hills. And how quiet it is at speed. You can actually hold a conversation without the need to yell at one another due to road noise, unlike my old 93 DOHC Saturn!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
You might want to bring your own oil for the dealer-performed oil changes. Should be no problem - it's what I do.

Thanks for the tip Williar but here's what I found out after my last "dealer" oil change done last Friday:

Yesterday I jacked up the van intending to change out the dealer oil and dumping in some german castrol. After draining the old oil I proceeded to remove the filter when lo and behold it is the same Purolator Pure One filter I installed 5k miles ago when I decided to put synthetic oil in the car after having the dealer do my oil change.
mad.gif
Can you imagine my anger at finding out that not only did they not change the filter, they probably never even changed the oil
mad.gif
. Anyway, I'm going to be more at guard now after this.

Incidentally speaking of the german syntec. I cannot believe how green it is (the tint). Are you guys sure it's not coolant I'm dumping into my engine? I think my van likes the green syntec. It's idling a lot better and is a little bit quieter. Will definitely order a UOA kit to find out if it's the oil for me.
smile.gif

Kiko, et. al,

Quite specifically, they cannot refuse to honor the warrantee if you don't get the car serviced at the dealer. There are laws and court decisions that specifically prevent this. They also can't force you to use their branded supplies. As long as you use the properly specified supplies at the proper intervals (and can prove it with receipts and/or maintenance logs), they have to honor the warrantee.

As far as your phantom oil change, I would find the serive manager and rip him a new a$$hole. I'd definitely threaten to file a complaint with the local dept of consumer affairs and/or attorney general's office, and demand a refund and possibly even some free work in the future.

[ July 01, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: MikeW ]

Therein lies the problem. As part of an extended warranty we bought three year's worth of oil changes. I'll be more careful and watchful next time. You can bet that before I drive off that lot I'll be checking under the hood for the filter. I used a Napa filter yesterday so it should be easy to spot if they replaced it or not.
smile.gif

Here's an idea...those NAPAs are white, right?

Take a Sharpie and write "Change me" or "Hi there big fella" on it. At least you'll know if they even looked at it before deciding to screw you over...

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
they cannot refuse to honor the warrantee if you don't get the car serviced at the dealer.

Not quite true. The Magnussen Moss warranty act allows them to do this if they provide the service free of charge.

Yeah but....ill bet they arent giving it for free either! This is the same federal act that allows us to use a wal-mart air con return filter for our home air con return unit and not void our home warranty. Or, replace the faucets with a new one that wasnt the "O.E." brand. One of the few laws that actually do help us i think.

offtopic.gif
too bad they dont have something like this in Great Britain! I feel bad for those blokes! If you buy a Renault, you better use ELF and take it to a dealer and get reciepts!

kiko,

Check your paperwork and talk to your dealer about getting your maint. package refunded to you based on the fact that you dont trust their work after finding that they didnt do the required change. Most extended warrenties are refundable before they go into effect (after the original warrenty expires) and I am sure they dont want to lose that little chunk of change, so threaten to cancel the whole thing if they dont refund the 3 year oil change portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back