Synthetics/Clean Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have heard synthetics keep your engine clean and was wondering what actually is in the oil that does this? Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I always have heard synthetics keep your engine clean and was wondering what actually is in the oil that does this? Thanks

Generally calcium and/or magnesium is used for alkalinity and detergency. The synthetics tend to have a higher amount of these compared to dino oil. They also don't degrade and breaakdown as much, leading to cleaner engine.

Organic esters ...and the higher concentration the more the stuff cleans. Every oil on the market contains calcium and magnesium, BTW.

TooSlick

Are there any that have more cleaning abilities then others? I assume M1 and Amsoil have very generous amounts, or most all synthetics anyway. I know a few people who have 100's of thousand miles on there cars/trucks and claim there engines are still clean as new using synthetics.

[ December 12, 2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

From personal experience I'd say the Amsoil Series 2000/3000, Redline and Mobil Delvac 1 all have extremely good cleaning abilities. Mobil 1 is probably a notch down from those, since it is primarily PAO based. I haven't tried some of the smaller companies like Synergyn or Royal Purple, but I expect those to clean well also ....

Ted

About 3,000 miles ago I change to Mobil 1 and a Fram PH16 oil filter. This is on a used jeep, I don't know wat was in the oil pan, or how long.
After about 2500 miles and reading about the Fram filters, I changed the oil filter to a Super Tech from Wal-Mart.
Now the oil is cleaning up, It's lighter cokored and no black flakes
YOOYJ

quote:

Are there any that have more cleaning abilities then others? I assume M1 and Amsoil have very generous amounts, or most all synthetics anyway. I know a few people who have 100's of thousand miles on there cars/trucks and claim there engines are still clean as new using synthetics.

I've been using M1 for more than 10 years in my '88 Civic. The engine is pretty clean but it is not "like new". I'm going to switch to Redline in the spring to see if the higher ester content cleans things up any.

This guy at work has an old Chrystler mini van with 138,ooo miles on it... He has used mobil 1 in it since they day he bought it new. The oil cap on it is pretty big so when you remove it you can see a lot past the valve cover... I did not see ANY sludge buildup in there at all, it was all clean like it was brand new... and he isn't the kind of person who remembers to change the oil on time.

Amsoil's better cleaning abilities is making me want to stick with it rather then switch back to M1 which is mostly PAO. But how is there SS 0w-40 in terms of cleaning? I might even try Delvac...good cleaning and would get me through the winter without changing it. That is after I do an analysis on M1 0w-30.
smile.gif

[ December 25, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Amsoil's better cleaning abilities is making me want to stick with it rather then switch back to M1 which is mostly PAO. But how is there SS 0w-40 in terms of cleaning? I might even try Delvac...good cleaning and would get me through the winter without changing it. That is after I do an analysis on M1 0w-30.
smile.gif

You only have a few months to wait to be able to use a HD dino oil for a interval when the temps warm up a bit to run the heavy grade,,think Delvac 1300S or some Chevron Delo 400 when it warms up,,patience is a virtue
wink.gif
I don't think your motor is in such bad need of cleaning at all and it should make it to spring easily.

Yeah, your right and I'm going to take your advice and use Delvac or Cheveron in a few months.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Organic esters ...and the higher concentration the more the stuff cleans. Every oil on the market contains calcium and magnesium, BTW.

TooSlick

My Royal Purple virgin sample showed only 11ppm of magnesium, and Mobil 1's latest formula only has about 20ppm. Quite a change from TriSynthetic, which used to have over 1000ppm of magnesium. I wonder why they made such a drastic change there?

Thanks...your right, why would Mobil go and reformulate if it wasn't better? I was more concerned with it's cleaning abilities bc it was said that Redline/Amsoil/Delvac contain higher levels of esters then M1. I think even Patman was surprised to see a dirty engine running M1. I wasn't sure if this was trisynthetic they were refering too or SS...or both.

I found this on an Audi Forum:

Also, here's a little clarification I found in a Mobil Q&A site on the relationship between group IV and group V oils:

Q: What percentage of synthetic engine oils is PAO and Group V base stocks (ester and other synthetics)?

A: Fully synthetic engine oils generally contain 70% to 80% PAO, 5% to 10 % Group V base stocks and the remaining portion are additives. However, some engine oil marketers have elected to use higher ratios.

Q: Why are Group V (esters and other synthetics) base stocks formulated in synthetic engine oils?

A: Group V base stocks are formulated in engine oils for improved additive solubility, improved deposit control and seal compatibility.

[ December 27, 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

>>>Thanks...your right, why would Mobil go and reformulate if it wasn't better?

Well, Castrol reformulated to cost engineer the product when they went to Group III basestock.

Having said that, I think the SS is probably better than the TriSyn (which I believe had some cost-engineering involved).

Dragboat, when you get the chance, check your messages. Thanks
smile.gif

So is the new SS not as good at cleaning compared to the Trisynthetic and other synthetics like Amsoil?

quote:

So is the new SS not as good at cleaning compared to the Trisynthetic and other synthetics like Amsoil?

No not at all. The SS uses Orgnano Esters as double duty type additives,,they clean,disperse and are barrier additives. The Supersyn seems far removed from Amsoil and the old Trysyn oils,,it is a much different formulation approach than those two,, much different.

It is a great OTC oil that is much better in all ways then the old Trysyn,,,why go to the trouble of it all for Mobil if it was not a better formulation ? If Mobil if not have to compete in pricing they could even make it better but for right now it is more oil than most motors need,,,some of these factory motors are pure junk imo these days,,

In my ad campaign for President I will lead with " no more junk motors! "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back