Synthetic's base question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, noob here.
cheers.gif

Please be seated before reading.

I am just now getting into the synthetic users arena and I belong to a few motorcycle forums as well. The synth debate reared it's ugly/nice/ugly head and several of the members made the suggestion that the sythns (I do not know what type they were referring to) use a substance that is extracted from penguins.

?

Are you still with me? Now, since I'm new at this I would like documented confirmation on whether or not I am an idiot or these member's are completely lunatic and are just trying to develop new material for Snopes.com.

Is this penguin story fact or fiction?

Btw....I searched this site for penguins already, lol.

If this is total BS I hope you guys and gals had a good belly laugh...

Penguin-zoil!!!!
grin.gif
Most OTC synthetics are either Hydrocracked petroleum (ultrarefined crude oil), or polyalphaolefins (chemically engineered from ethylene gas).

That's a first for me. But if it's from penguins, why would it be synthetic?

I think there is a whale tale in here somewhere but don't bring sperm whale oil up....because indeed that was a real lube.

Penguins might have something of value on them that would work well in oil, since you always see them slipping and falling, so they've got some sort of slippery substance on them!
tongue.gif

Back when I was a young fellow they had to take the WHALE oil out of ATF due to endangered species or whatever. That stuff worked great, it took a long time until they got back to those levels of performance.

So far, you guys are doing a marvelous job. I had hoped as many as 50 would post...but...so far so good.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RESPONSES!

and just to show my appreciation I will post a
"not safe for work" link for those of you that have teenage daughters....

burnout.gif

Thanks again...

This is a G rated site. Thank you.

[ May 27, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

what did you think Pennzoil was made out of, especially their synthetic with Penzane ??

shocked.gif

SSDude: actually they mix group V(ester) and group VI (penguin) to make the oil because group VI (penguin) alone is not great for your seals from what I hear. I mean I thought penguins would get along with seals very well, but what do I know
rolleyes.gif
Imagine the pour point on that oil! penguins live in arctic temperatures all their lives, imagine using in your engine what they're using!
burnout.gif

quote:

I think there is a whale tale in here somewhere but don't bring sperm whale oil up....because indeed that was a real lube.

I think oil made from whale by-products is called "Dorko"
wink.gif

Since ALL animal and vegetable fats are esters, and since ALL aquatic fowl secrete an oily substance (technically a liquid wax-ester) at the base of their feathers to aid flotation (prevents their plumage from becoming water-logged), there might be a grain of truth to the story. Penguin oil might be a starting point to synthesize a robust motor oil additive. It's hard to imagine, though, that the volume that can be harvested could in any way be sufficient to meet current and projected needs. It's also possible that the birds' skin and flesh fat content might be the basis for further synthesis. Cold weather warm-blooded animals as a rule have high body fat content. The comments about sperm whale oil use in ATF is true, and the amount per quart was miniscule - about a thimble full/qt was all that was necessary. The Lubegard website quotes a statistic in the company's history that a year after the ban on whaling took effect, the number of automatic transmission rebuilds in the U.S. shot up from less than 1,000,000 to several million. Swiss watchmaker Rolex, S.A. uses eight different lubricants in the manufacturing and servicing of Rolex watch movements. Sperm whale oil is one of them and used at two key wear points. The last year sperm whale oil was available as a commodity, Rolex bought 5,000 gallons on the spot market which they currently have stored in Berne under 24 hour armed guard. The company's projections estimate it'll be sufficient to see the company's needs through 2050. Incredibly, during the early days of whaling, sperm whale oil was just as apt to be used as lamp and cooking oil as it was as a precision machinery lubricant. I'm unaware of any commercial use for remaining parts of the slaughtered mammals except as fertilizer or fodder.

[ May 27, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Wouldn't be that outlandish to believe they have 24 hour armed guards there. If you put the vault inside of a major corporate HQ facility, you might already have 24 hour security for the building there anyway.

Sulfurised whale oil was used in metal working lubricants.

And there's been no better substitute found for the oiliness that sulfurised whale oil gave to the lubricants used in worm gears where the worm is steel and the pinion is bronze.

But, no! Penguins aren't used to produce synthetic lubricants. Penguins are only found in the Antarctic and there is no commercial gathering of penguins, legal or illegal. By the way, did you know that polar bears are only found in the Arctic.

I'm afraid those forum members have been pulling your leg.

quote:

And there's been no better substitute found for the oiliness that sulfurised whale oil gave to the lubricants used in worm gears where the worm is steel and the pinion is bronze.

Natural and synthetic esters and sulferized/phosphorized isobutylenes with the proper additives have replaced whale oils.

This reminds me of a joke. The penguin drops his car off at the transmission rebuilders and goes across the street to relax for a while and wait for the dignosis.

When he comes back he gets the bad news..."Looks like you blew a seal" says the tech.

"No, I just had some ice cream across the street"
answers the penguin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back