% synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
who has the greates percent in their blends?
motorcraft(20 and 30 weight)
valvoline (durablend and maxlife)
castrol
others?

would the greater the % mean the longer the drain?
or is the drain based more-so on addetive retention?

Motorcraft/Kendall...etc....have up to 40-50% in some blends. It is a very 'cheap' Group III mixed with group II to approximate the abilities of a full group-II+ base oil.

Valvoline blends tend to be around 30%.

Others, who knows...?

Originally Posted By: wjli
who has the greates percent in their blends?
motorcraft(20 and 30 weight)
valvoline (durablend and maxlife)
castrol
others?

would the greater the % mean the longer the drain?
or is the drain based more-so on addetive retention?

I was wondering about the % of syn in Motorcraft too. Vavoline states on there site a 70/30 mix.

That's interesting...Do we know if any company uses Group II+ base oils in there dinos?

Originally Posted By: pbm
That's interesting...Do we know if any company uses Group II+ base oils in there dinos?

Don't know for sure, but people on here have mentioned that Chevron/Texaco dino is Group II+, and some people have mentioned Pennzoil uses either Group II+ or a mix of Group II and Group III to get the equivalent of a Group II+. However I don't think any of us know for sure.

I believe part of the reason people believe that Chevron & Texaco are Group II+ is because Chevron developed the process of producing Group II+ which they then license out to other refineries. That along with the very good performance of Chevron and Texaco dinos has lead people to say they are Group II+.

Please note, none of what I've mentioned is known for certain so others may come along and correct what I've said. Like anything you read online, please take this information with a grain of skepticism

Well if there is NO syn in Full synthetic, how much is there in Semi-synthetic? STAY away, BAD oil, WASTE of money.

Mobil Clean 500O 5w-30 - best general use oil out there.

From my readings here and other places over the years, Schaeffers 7000 30 wt oils have 80% Grp II+ and 20% PAO.
LE 8130 Monolec Ultra Blend has 30% Grp II+ and 70% PAO.
Those are the only blends that I feel pretty confident about.

Quote:
Well if there is NO syn in Full synthetic, how much is there in Semi-synthetic? STAY away, BAD oil, WASTE of money.

That would be your opinion. IMO, Motorcraft syn blend is one of the best readily available dino's out there. No waste of money because all weights are great values, and the 5w20 jug is an exceptional value (costs < MC5k).

Nothing wrong with MC5k, but I'd take Motorcraft syn blend hands down if given a choice.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
BUy 2 quarts of Full syn and 2 quarts of dino. Make your own.
That still gives you conventional oil. With no majority group V base, no synthetic worth a hill of beans.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

That would be your opinion. IMO, Motorcraft syn blend is one of the best readily available dino's out there. No waste of money because all weights are great values, and the 5w20 jug is an exceptional value (costs < MC5k).
Nothing wrong with MC5k, but I'd take Motorcraft syn blend hands down if given a choice.
That would be your opinion
wink.gif
I hear Motorcraft has been recently reformulated by CP so it no longer has the weakest add pack on the market. History lesson: Wasn't Chevron OEM Ford oil not TOO many years ago?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

That would be your opinion
wink.gif
I hear Motorcraft has been recently reformulated by CP so it no longer has the weakest add pack on the market. History lesson: Wasn't Chevron OEM Ford oil not TOO many years ago?

Yep, my opinion and the opinion of many on BITOG.
wink.gif
Not interested in anecdotal("hear") tales and history lessons. What Ford oil used to be is of zero relevance to the discussion of Motorcraft syn blend.

Plenty of UOA's on BITOG attesting to Motorcraft quality, as well as many many threads ( most recent here ) of satisfied users, including myself since 2001 (5w20), of MC syn blend. Don't know what your issue is MC syn blend but appears to be more your issue than fact related.

As for the statement of MC syn blend being a "bad oil, waste of money", absurd.
smirk2.gif

The problem is that someone may read that ridiculous statement about Motorcraft semi synth being "a bad oil and a waste of money" and stop there.
Like sayjac said, that statement is absurd. Absurd +.

Possible....

smirk2.gif

That still gives you conventional oil. With no majority group V base, no synthetic worth a hill of beans.

smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back