Synthetic with zddp in an older Kohler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I’ve been reading these forums for quite sometime now and I need some advice as I’m still a little confused. I have an antique (kinda) tractor with a Kohler Magnum 10 single w/ the splash/slinger oil system. The manual calls for straight 30w, however, I’d like to run synthetic to help keep the motor cool but because this is a flat tappet motor, I think I need an oil with high zinc. I was thinking of Rotella T6 5w-40 but didn’t know if the 40w would be a bit to thick to splash around and get into the tighter spots, plus couldn’t find out the zddp levels in the new formula. The other option is M1 10w-30 HM or a robust HDEO dino like Delo.

The motor runs great and has 600 hours on it with and no smoke. I just want this engine to last another 6-800 hours with regular maintenance and not have to use some rare oil that is impossible to find. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Rotella T5 10w-30.

That's a good choice, but since he specifically asked for a synth I'd say RT6 5w40.
grin2.gif
The 40 weight isn't really too thick for an air-cooled engine, IMO.

Old Kohlers have slider cams, but they're low RPM engines with very lightweight valve springs. I wouldn't worry about using a ZDDP-loaded oil all that much. The cam lobes aren't going to die on you unless you idle it super-slow for hours on end.

Also, I seem to remember seeing some VOAs of Kohler brand oil and it was darn stout stuff. Synthetic won't help the engine run cooler, it just tolerates running hot better (sometimes, maybe) than conventional oil.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast response. I know the Rotella t6 is very popular here and the discussions are very informative. Briggs and Stratton now recommends 5w-30 synthetic in their engines and that is why I was sort of leaning towards M1 5w-30 HM. I will be using a tiller and some other attachments once in a while so the engine will be running hot. It is a carb motor so I'm very aware of the gas diluting the oil and I will be changing the oil frequently.

Castrol 0w30 Syntec

I run Rotella T 5w40 in my 20 year old Tecumseh that calls for a 30wt oil and havent had a problem.

Kohler spec's SAE30 for the Magnum singles and older K-series, but many OEM's like Case/Ingersoll spec'd 20w40 way back when for their Kohler engine equipped OPE. I chose the happy medium of 15w40 for my 31yr/old Kohler 10hp. They'll run on anything, but a HDEO can only increase the longevity of these beasts IMO.

Joel

I have an old Kohler Magnum (12 hp) just like you. I just started running Rotella synthetic 5w-40 this summer. The engine has 730 hours on it now. It is now the only oil I will run in that engine, it runs very well.

re; rpbenstein comment: I would never run a modern PCMO GF3/4 syn in a older tractor engine - now thats asking for trouble. I would stick with any of the shell hdeo for guaranteed good performance. And NO mmo!

Last edited:
ARCOgraphite....wow, I remember that oil from the 70's...nice!

I believe I will be safe with the Rotella T6 then. It was on my short list plus it's available everywhere and seems to get great reviews here. I wasn't sure if the zddp amount mattered in this engine or the JASO-MA was a good thing or not.

Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
re; rpbenstein comment: I would never run a modern PCMO GF3/4 syn in a older tractor engine - now thats asking for trouble. I would stick with any of the shell hdeo for guaranteed good performance. And NO mmo!

0w30 Castrol is still SL rated so its ok. About where some of the current dual rated CJ/SM HDEOs are as far as sinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back