Synthetic the most abused word in the oil industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
What great spec does "fake synthetic" meet that other ILSAC GF-5 "fake conventional" don't?

Is there a synthetic performance spec? Manufacturers requiring "synthetic" without qualification are looking for trouble from all directions.

Knnuckle, knuckle Fuji H.I. !

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Is there a synthetic performance spec? Manufacturers requiring "synthetic" without qualification are looking for trouble from all directions.

How many manufacturers specify "synthetic" without also specifying a specification?

If it meets the spec it meets the spec. And don't go off on what oils you think exceed a spec. No one knows that answer.

My point was North American marketed ILSAC GF-5 synthetics typically demonstrate NO performance advantage over other GF-5 lubricants marketed at 1/2 the cost.

And I menetion Fuji (Subaru) a marketer of autos with high performance turbocharged engines.

You would think THEY would have a spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My point was North American marketed ILSAC GF-5 synthetics typically demonstrate NO performance advantage over other GF-5 lubricants marketed at 1/2 the cost.

And I menetion Fuji (Subaru) a marketer of autos with high performance turbocharged engines.

You would think THEY would have a spec.

Every synthetic I see on the shelf meets far more stringent manufacturer specs than conventional oils.

Our Austrailian members can get Castrol 10w40 A3/B4 "blends".. I can't help but wonder if that's our US equivalent of the Castrol Syntec (marketed as a synthetic.) I am running in my Jeep right now. I believe it's now discontinued, but they do make an Edge HM 10w40 A3/B4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Our Austrailian members can get Castrol 10w40 A3/B4 "blends".. I can't help but wonder if that's our US equivalent of the Castrol Syntec (marketed as a synthetic.) I am running in my Jeep right now. I believe it's now discontinued, but they do make an Edge HM 10w40 A3/B4.

The Edge 10W40 was one of my favorite oils for a long time,but Walmart stopped carrying it and there's no way I'll ever pay $10 for a quart of oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

The Edge 10W40 was one of my favorite oils for a long time,but Walmart stopped carrying it and there's no way I'll ever pay $10 for a quart of oil.

I bought mine at Oreilly's for $3 a quart otherwise I would have not even considered it.

I bought mine at Oreilly's for $3 a quart otherwise I would have not even considered it.

Yeah, gotta watch out for sales and not wait until the last minute before you have to do an oil change. I think I got the Edge HM 10w-40 from Advance Auto for around $4 a quart when it was part of some oil change special.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, gotta watch out for sales and not wait until the last minute before you have to do an oil change. I think I got the Edge HM 10w-40 from Advance Auto for around $4 a quart when it was part of some oil change special.

I'd mentioned it in another thread but O'Reilly had a shelf full of the old formula Edge w/Syntec 10W40 on "clearance" for $7 a quart haha!! I asked if it was going to go lower as they said no. I honestly laughed out loud at them.

Should have told them Autozone clearances it at $2.00!
smile.gif

SonofJoe wins best answer. This thread is another bottle of 5w30 Semantics Plus ...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: QuinZ
That's how Castrol won the lawsuit that gave us all the wobbly room in labeling.

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.html

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/Press%...0in%20court.pdf

There was no lawsuit, just a NAD decision.

Yep, the "lawsuit myth" that just won't die, usually perpetrated by people who have a magical fascination with "Group IV" and "Group V" and what they imagine that means.

The abuse of the word "synthetic" goes both ways although most people only complain about one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back