Synthetic or Mineral What are the Benefits?

Dunno, for the low cost of synthetic such as Kirkland, I ain't buying conventional anymore.
I guess, if synthetic is better at 7K or 10K, then it is better at 5K.

Just change every 3k and have no worries.

I use synthetic only because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. It makes me feel good when all my marbles
are the same size and are perfectly round and symmetrical. Actually, I am more of a smeller feller. Some oil
smells better to me than others. I have to factor the smell in. So a good smelling synthetic or semi-synthetic
would be my choice. And I almost forgot the color. I want mine to resemble the color of sourwood honey. I don't like
new oil that pours out darkish. If I could get a crystal clear oil that smelled like Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, now that would
be a winner!

Or...Is the oil cleaner because it's not picking up containments?
I guess for the price difference it's synthetic for most consumers. There are rows of synthetics at Walmart and very few non synthetic oils for sale. I guess most customers agree the synthetic is the way to go for many reasons. My 87 Corvette seemed to do better with Mobil 1 therefore I changed over years ago to full synthetic on my vehicles.

I guess for the price difference it's synthetic for most consumers. There are rows of synthetics at Walmart and very few non synthetic oils for sale. I guess most customers agree the synthetic is the way to go for many reasons. My 87 Corvette seemed to do better with Mobil 1 therefore I changed over years ago to full synthetic on my vehicles.
Makes no sense to not use synthetic if you're changing your own. Noticed SD synthetic was only a few cents more than the conventional ( they still call it that even though it's SP), yet if you can't change your own it's a huge cost difference.

I like to try the best oil that I can find for my cars. That means I use synthetics. Right now I have Ravenol, which is PAO. I do my changes myself, so it isn't difficult to use the best I can get and keep costs under control. Makes me feel good all over.

Never judge an oil by its color. There's too many variables to make an accurate judgement of oil performance based on its color. I have a new oil on my desk here that's pretty well black right out of the bottle because it contains 1.85% sulfur. Still goes 5k+ miles with good TBN.
What is it?

Never judge an oil by its color. There's too many variables to make an accurate judgement of oil performance based on its color. I have a new oil on my desk here that's pretty well black right out of the bottle because it contains 1.85% sulfur. Still goes 5k+ miles with good TBN.
In what way is the TBN retention related to the amount of sulfur in the virgin oil?

In what way is the TBN retention related to the amount of sulfur in the virgin oil?
I don't think he was saying sulfur has anything to do with TBN, he was saying that the oil turns black because of the sulfur despite having a high TBN, and thus color isn't really a good indicator if oil is "used up".

Just change every 3k and have no worries.

I use synthetic only because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. It makes me feel good when all my marbles
are the same size and are perfectly round and symmetrical. Actually, I am more of a smeller feller. Some oil
smells better to me than others. I have to factor the smell in. So a good smelling synthetic or semi-synthetic
would be my choice. And I almost forgot the color. I want mine to resemble the color of sourwood honey. I don't like
new oil that pours out darkish. If I could get a crystal clear oil that smelled like Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, now that would
be a winner!

LOL. Glad to know I'm not the only odd duck as I always smell the oil when I open a can!

I don't think he was saying sulfur has anything to do with TBN, he was saying that the oil turns black because of the sulfur despite having a high TBN, and thus color isn't really a good indicator if oil is "used up".
Okay, but now I don't know what the sulfur has to do with turning black and how turning black has anything to do with TBN.

I never buy full synthetics, usually just blends. I guess my negative experience using Mobil 1 in my 98 K1500 back in the late 90's and early 2000's turned me off to it. I still own this truck so I don't feel like trying a synthetic again. I still use Motorcraft blend in my Mustang which seems to work well so I have no reason to change.

Okay, but now I don't know what the sulfur has to do with turning black and how turning black has anything to do with TBN.
A recent ALS webinar listed sulfur content as a cause for hard piston deposits and acid build up.

Yes, active sulfur compounds entering the oil via products of combustion and then combined with water. The way I read his posts he was talking about sulfur compounds in the virgin oil, not bad actors such as sulfur dioxide.

Back