Synthetic or High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 2002 Toyota camry with 100,000 miles on her. The car has a 3.0 V-6 engine. I would like to know if I should continue using synthetic oil or should I switch to High Mileage Oil? I don't leak or burn any oil in this vehicle.

I also have a 2007 camry four cylinder. I'm using synthetic oil in this vehicle also. She has 90,000 miles on her. She burns a quart of oil every 1,600 miles. Should I switch to High Mileage Oil and a different weight in order to stop or limit the burning of the oil?

Last edited:
Stay with what's working. My step fathers 96 Avalon has 295,000 miles on it. It had synthetic since 100,000. Its done really great. I bet your will be like his.... 400,000 plus ???
smile.gif

Like the gentleman's post after mine says.. You certainly could run a dino in it too with great results. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dino PYB, Valvoline, Castrol GTX etc.

Last edited:
Have you changed the timing belt in it yet? One of my friends has an '02 Camry with well over 200k on it using dino oils, so I'm sure either way you'll be fine.

If your seals are leaking,having alot of blow by pr something I'd use a good HM oil like maxlife. If not either is fine. Just plain Dino for 5000 is good to.

Originally Posted By: Badbul
I would like to know if I should continue using synthetic oil or should I switch to High Mileage Oil?

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

k2-_bdfd370d-c24e-428a-8cbf-c0ca7c7151e4.v1.jpg

Parent's 92 Camry has over 300,000 miles of being short tripped on whatever conventional was on sale since new. Mostly GTX and Valvoline. They still follow this regimen and have no leaks worth noting.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Stay with what's working. My step fathers 96 Avalon has 295,000 miles on it. It had synthetic since 100,000. Its done really great. I bet your will be like his.... 400,000 plus ???
smile.gif

Like the gentleman's post after mine says.. You certainly could run a dino in it too with great results. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Dino PYB, Valvoline, Castrol GTX etc.

There is zero sludge in my engine. When I change my oil the oil looks a little darker then a caramel color. I wold love to see 400,000 but I'll sell it before then.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Have you changed the timing belt in it yet? One of my friends has an '02 Camry with well over 200k on it using dino oils, so I'm sure either way you'll be fine.

I haven't changed the timing belt or the water pump. Plan on doing this by the end of summer.

Originally Posted By: fmia
If your seals are leaking,having alot of blow by pr something I'd use a good HM oil like maxlife. If not either is fine. Just plain Dino for 5000 is good to.

Nothing at all with the 02, the 07 burns oil. I think this is very common in the 07/08 camrys.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I would like to know if I should continue using synthetic oil or should I switch to High Mileage Oil?

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

k2-_bdfd370d-c24e-428a-8cbf-c0ca7c7151e4.v1.jpg

Nice. I'll look into this and just maybe my next oil change. As a matter of fact, it will be the next oil change, thanks.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Use whatever is cheaper as both will work fine

The High Mileage is a few dollars cheaper. I'm going to switch to the Mobil 1 High Mileage. Thanks

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Agree with Mobil 1 High Mileage. You want to stay synthetic since the engine is a known sludger.

Can't argue with that!

Originally Posted By: wemay
Parent's 92 Camry has over 300,000 miles of being short tripped on whatever conventional was on sale since new. Mostly GTX and Valvoline. They still follow this regimen and have no leaks worth noting.

I used dino oil up till about 60,000 miles before the switch to synthetic. It was all dealer maintained until then.

Hello, I have a 2002 Toyota camry with 100,000 miles on her. The car has a 3.0 V-6 engine. I would like to know if I should continue using synthetic oil or should I switch to High Mileage Oil? I don't leak or burn any oil in this vehicle.

No burn or leak? Keep up with what you are doing.

I also have a 2007 camry four cylinder. I'm using synthetic oil in this vehicle also. She has 90,000 miles on her. She burns a quart of oil every 1,600 miles. Should I switch to High Mileage Oil and a different weight in order to stop or limit the burning of the oil?

No guarantee a HM oil or different weight would stop the consumption; but you could certainly try it. However 1qt per 1600 miles is not too bad and it also depends on your OCI. I would make the interval a multiple of 1600 miles to avoid draining fresh oil. (4800, 6400, 8000, etc)

Last edited:
Nothing at all with the 02, the 07 burns oil. I think this is very common in the 07/08 camrys.

Is not the year, it's the difference between a laid-back V6 and an overworked 4cyl (higher revs).

Originally Posted By: SoNic67

Is not the year, it's the difference between a laid-back V6 and an overworked 4cyl (higher revs).

It is the year. The 07-08s are known for faulty rings. This goes for the Camry, Solara, RAV-4, xB and tC. I know this first hand with my '08. Other years hardly consumed any oil with the same engine.

In addition to Mobil1 High Milage, there is now Pennzoil Ultra Platinum High Milage. Both are fine oils.

Just a thought, check your PCV system as they can cause oil consumption through the intake if clogged or otherwise not functioning properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back