synthetic or dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more time that I spend on this forum the more I question my oil requirements. my OCI is every 3 months and my cars rarely see more than 3000 miles in 3 months. My wife and I both live and work in a small town our cars rarely get up to full temp. I do tow a 24' camper in summer and a snowmobile trailer in winter. My wife is a EMT IV Tech so that means when she gets a call she starts the car and emedeley beats the [censored] out of it. so now that you know what my cars go through my question is should I run synthetic or dino. I am currently using M1 in the GP and RP in the Silverado. The Jeep is a work beater that gets Resoilute oil If i should stay with synthetic should i try something cheaper like citgo. I will not go longer than 3 months OCI due to the low short trips and excessive idling. Suggestions please. One more thing I do not shop at chinamart so no ST Suggestions

I'd run synthetic, especially in the winter months. Dino will hold up, but synthetic is going to give an extra margin of protection, especially if your wife has to race off with the car. The question is if you want to pay the premium for that extra protection.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd run synthetic, especially in the winter months. Dino will hold up, but synthetic is going to give an extra margin of protection, especially if your wife has to race off with the car. The question is if you want to pay the premium for that extra protection.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

That's what I was thinking but I might try a cheaper synthetic. M1 is $6.79 RP is $7ish Synpower is $6.09 and Citgo synthetic is $4.85 what would you use?

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
That's what I was thinking but I might try a cheaper synthetic. M1 is $6.79 RP is $7ish Synpower is $6.09 and Citgo synthetic is $4.85 what would you use?

M1 at Wal Mart is $22.00 for 5 qt. jug.

You mentioned not shopping at Walmart. With that in mind I would look for oil and filter deals at Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, or Pep Boys. Many times you can get Pennzoil Platinum and a Pure One filter or Mobil 1 filter for under $30. They run similar deals on Mobil 1 as well. PB had a nice deal on Kendall synthetic oil recently too. Watch the holiday weekend deals and stock up!

Have you given any thought to using a synthetic blend? People have shown good results with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Valvoline DuraBlend. Some people even mix their own blend.

I don't know if this works for you, but if I was in your situation I would go to NAPA and buy enough of the NAPA synthetic to do two oil changes on each vehicle. NAPA synthetic is made by Ashland who also makes Valvoline, and has shown to be very similar (but not exactly the same) as Valvoline SynPower. NAPA synthetic is on sale through the end of the month for $3 per quart. I'd get enough to do two oil changes per vehicle, then use the time on that oil to pick up more oil as it goes on sale

Originally Posted By: tig1
Did I miss something? What's wrong with WM and buying oil there?

He mentioned this about Wal-mart.

One more thing I do not shop at chinamart so no ST Suggestions

So I stood clear of suggesting Wal-mart.

I just checked on the NAPA sale and it is all NAPAs. $2.99 for synthetic WOW that's less than some dino now I know I will stay with synthetic. Thanks and I need to watch the NAPA website more.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Why use synthetic if one dumps oil every three months and 3K?

:no-no:

banana2.gif

Well said Master Fresh. At those intervals you would do just as well to run the cheapest decent oil you can find. Synthetic would be like replacing your tires when their 25% worn.

In the winter you could go with a very light dino oil, blend, or full synthetic to get better cold weather protection. Your list of vehicles don't look finicky, and would probably be happy with anything you choose.

One final word of advice,
57.gif

get a UOA to learn whats really going on at 3/months 3k miles and you may be surprised that you can greatly extend it.

Too bad you don't like Wal Mart. They have great prices and a decent selection. They also hire people that would otherwise be unemployed, and I don't lose any sleep over the fact that my business is supporting a peasant factory worker and his family in China. If the world stopped buying our stuff, we'd all be screwed.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Have you given any thought to using a synthetic blend? People have shown good results with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Valvoline DuraBlend. Some people even mix their own blend.

I don't know if this works for you, but if I was in your situation I would go to NAPA and buy enough of the NAPA synthetic to do two oil changes on each vehicle. NAPA synthetic is made by Ashland who also makes Valvoline, and has shown to be very similar (but not exactly the same) as Valvoline SynPower. NAPA synthetic is on sale through the end of the month for $3 per quart. I'd get enough to do two oil changes per vehicle, then use the time on that oil to pick up more oil as it goes on sale

Excellent advice, this is exactly what I would do if I were you!

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
One final word of advice, get a UOA to learn whats really going on at 3/months 3k miles and you may be surprised that you can greatly extend it.

Or, just get a higher quality oil with the money you would save by not doing an UOA. Any full synthetic can go at least 6K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back