Synthetic or Blend

My understanding is its 10%. Regardless nothing magical about mixing lower quality GII and GIII at a 50/50 ratio instead of higher quality GII and GIII at a 90/10 ratio to achieve the same standard.
I agree, everybody gets caught up on the %, when a more fundamental question is the quality and viscosity of the base stock used to make the final product.

Like I said before, I don't see the point of thickening up 6 cSt with lots of VII to make a 10 cSt Group-III 5W30 synthetic when you could add some 12 cSt Group-II to get to the same end with less VII as a SynBlend (or so I assume, happy for a formulator to correct me).

Well I do see the point, better marketing with a full synthetic.

Well you do have to meet certification requirements and you can:t do it with the same basestock blends you did in the SJ days.
Which is why specifications, licenses and approvals are what’s important. Even so there still is no requirement for a minimum percentage to be marketed or sold as a blend or semi-synthetic.

Can I really make a case for using something other than synthetic now?

Blend - $16.77 per 6 qt
Synthetic (Dexos 1.2) - $19.65 per 6 qt

At only 17% more I'm really starting to wonder.
3.27 per qt Dexos is not a bad price.
We had been spoiled the last couple years before the pandemic hit. It stayed low due to low demand during the early stages of the pandemic.
Now that there is more demand oil is obviously up.

I'd rather run a good conventional (QSHM) than a bad synthetic (Castrol Edge)

and I wont get into the fully synthetic appellation being misleading to the average joe or jane consumer

Syn blend is a massive cash cow for oil companies. For the price they charge for syn blend, there is nothing gained. Pay the little extra for full synthetic.
Which if true highlights the importance of licenses and approvals. When I buy a C3/504 00 oil I know what I’m getting regardless of the base stock composition.

Syn blend is a massive cash cow for oil companies. For the price they charge for syn blend, there is nothing gained. Pay the little extra for full synthetic.
Again, if it meets spec….who cares? I don’t care if the company makes more profit on it if they deliver a good product that MEETS SPEC

Back