Synthetic Oil vs "Severe" driving conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with Severe OCI in Owner's Manual. I am familiar with Kia's. They are really hard on oil. Does yours have a turbo charger? In fact, I called the local Kia Dealer Service Dept concerning a recent purchase. They recommend full synthetic, but of course they up-sell.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by xerostatus
Originally Posted by PimTac
How far is your commute and how long does it take on average? That will help us define stop and go. For some, 5-10 minutes of stop and go is a pain. For others, 1-2 hours is the norm.

With your climate and what you've said so far you might be able to go 7500 miles. If the stop and go is more severe then 5000 is a good number.

Run a good synthetic from a major brand that meets the latest specs and you will be fine.

My commute is about 45 minutes each way, about 12~13 miles.
But on bad days, or if I get out of the house later than I should, it could take up to an hour.

Even with the weekend trips I would consider a 5000 mile oci.

Enjoy your new Palisade.

I agree with PimTac then get an UOA at 5000 and you'll have a much better idea of where you're standing.

Agreed ðŸ‘.. you've already spent $50g's.. what's another $20 on a UOA? There are plenty of reasonably priced syn blends and full syns that can do 7.5k. Heck, there are full dinos that can do 5k no sweat.. maybe even 7 in the right engine

Originally Posted by maxdustington
carviewsonic said:
Your climate isn't cold, and you're on the highway 2-3 times a month, so I would consider it "normal" driving. ....

That's the best case scenario for a commuter car IMO. You could run long OCIs no problemo.

Normal driving and 7500 easy after wear in maybe 10K. UOA after 2 OCI and after wear in should give you an idea of how far you can go. But, just BC TBN is fine does NOT mean the viscosity is in a good range or the EP additives are available.

MaxD..

Una rápida lección de español

¡No hay ningún problema!

Appreciate all the responses, everyone! Lots of insight.

I think I will fill with synthetic and maintain a 5000 interval for now, and consider doing UOA after a couple fills.

To answer a few questions that were brought up:
- No, my vehicle doesn't have a OLM, only a manually-set reminders based on miles.
- And no, the engine isn't turbo, V6 GDI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xerostatus
Appreciate all the responses, everyone! Lots of insight.

I think I will fill with synthetic and maintain a 5000 interval for now.

Not certain if it's still the case in California but Supertech 0w20 is $15 for 5 quarts. That's conventional price for full synth support. Auto parts stores be dammed.

Hyundai GDI engines are somewhat known as fuel diluters prior to 2020 (still too eartly to know about 2020's) ... Synthetic at less than 5K miles OCI is best (My 2017 GDI 2.4L Sonada's oil is toast by 4K miles of similar driving style as you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back