Synthetic oil recommendations 2009 Altima 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I have a 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 115K

Owner's manual recommends 5/30 API SM oil. Oil change recommendation is 3,750 miles. I have always used synthetic, Mobil 1 or Amsoil, in just about everything I own and owned.

I live in SE Pennsylvania, go Eagles, so it definitely gets cold in the winters and hot in the summers.

I am an extremely easy driver, I don't race from light to light etc. I am 61 years old so my racing days are over.

I normally just do short jaunts to run errands etc, mostly city driving. There are quite a few times when I know the oil temp is not getting hot enough to get rid of any condensation.

I just bought the car 1500 miles ago back in September of 2018 so I don't know it inside out. The oil is fresh and it had oil changes done regularly according to the CARFAX. I don't know of any problems, the car runs great and is clean as a whistle. A steal at $3000!

I have Purolator Boss filters for this car and am definitely thinking at Amsoil again, the Signature 5/30. I only plan on changing my oil once a year and the filter twice, as I only put on maybe 3-4k a year. I used Amsoil in the Kenworth truck with a 525 Cummins I had
in the 90's and early 2000's and had incredible luck with that. I was also looking at the RLI HD SHP 5/30.

Thanks for any advice and expertise!

Hello and welcome!

For such low mileage on your annual OCI, I suggest Pennzoil Platinum. I like both Amsoil and RLI, but I'd only use them for OCIs of 10k miles or more owing to their cost.

And honestly, ANY quality full synthetic oil will get you through a one year/<5k mile OCI. Mobil 1, QSUD, Platinum, SuperTech, etc.

And do I understand you to say you plan on changing your oil filter twice per year?

Last edited:
If you are gonna use a 0 weight, m1 makes one of the best out there imo. They also happen to be the best ongoing deal in synthetic oil if you have a costco with 5w30 when on ad just over 4 bucks a qrt. Watch the youtubes on oil cold flow tests.

Don't change your filter twice. Those filters are good for at least 2 normal oil change intervals (OCI).
As the matter of fact, there is NO need to change any filter twice per OCI.

Originally Posted by JonnyZ
Hi All,

Owner's manual recommends 5/30 API SM oil. Oil change recommendation is 3,750 miles. I have always used synthetic, Mobil 1 or Amsoil, in just about everything I own and owned.

I live in SE Pennsylvania, go Eagles, so it definitely gets cold in the winters and hot in the summers.

I am an extremely easy driver, I don't race from light to light etc. I am 61 years old so my racing days are over.

I normally just do short jaunts to run errands etc, mostly city driving. There are quite a few times when I know the oil temp is not getting hot enough to get rid of any condensation.

I just bought the car 1500 miles ago back in September of 2018 so I don't know it inside out. The oil is fresh and it had oil changes done regularly according to the CARFAX. I don't know of any problems, the car runs great and is clean as a whistle. A steal at $3000!

I have Purolator Boss filters for this car and am definitely thinking at Amsoil again, the Signature 5/30. I only plan on changing my oil once a year and the filter twice, as I only put on maybe 3-4k a year. I used Amsoil in the Kenworth truck with a 525 Cummins I had
in the 90's and early 2000's and had incredible luck with that. I was also looking at the RLI HD SHP 5/30.

NAPA synthetic thats on sale. Quality oil. Your engine is not a demanding engine.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Don't change your filter twice. Those filters are good for at least 2 normal oil change intervals (OCI).
As the matter of fact, there is NO need to change any filter twice per OCI.

Agreed. And any SN rated 5w-30 synthetic of your choice will be plenty good for annual changes at that mileage.

SuperTech High Mileage 5w30 or anything that is on sale.
Probably a Fram Ultra Guard 7317 (or any quality filter) and change it every other service.
5K to 7K OCI or once a year.

And service that transmission, brake fluid, ps fluid, etc.
Good luck and enjoy your new car.

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I guess I'll go with whatever synthetic Pep Boys has on sale, as they're close to me. And I guess it makes sense to go with only one filter. Thanks for the input!!

Walmart is a lower price 99% of the time.

Their supertech synthetic has been scrutinized and sniffed at over and over again and never has a bad test or UOA. Good oil at $16 for 5 qts.
Next would be Quaker State Ultimate Duration (QSUD) Synthetic. I'm running some QSUD now on my 105K Tacoma V6 and it likes it. Nice and smooth idle, low valve rattle.

My strategy is to wait until some sales and try to get 5qt jugs of synthetic for less that $12/jug. Usually walmart rollback pennzoil platinum for $22 with a pennzoil $10 rebate.

Got the quaker state on clearance at advanced auto parts for $8/jug.

I don't go crazy and only keep a stash of 2 - 4 oil changes. That gets me to the next sale/clearance.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by JonnyZ
Hi All,

NAPA synthetic thats on sale. Quality oil. Your engine is not a demanding engine.

NAPA has their Full Synthetic on sale for $18.99 for the 5qt jug. Is there any advantage to go with the high mileage synthetic given 115k on my car? Also, it's no problem to go with the 0/30 instead of the 5/30?

a 5-30 is good, i use 10-30 also in NE Pa wider spreads of group III fake synthetics require more viscosity improvers. as noted any typical synthetic will work as they are prolly similar to meet the SM spec.good luck with your good find + if possible a longer trip here + there of an hour will help remove condensation otherwise change every 6 month + always a new filter IMO. i service my aunts jeep every 6 mo with mobil I + wix filter only 1 to 2 thou each time as she rarely leaves town, its cheap insurance IMO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back