Synthetic oil Non Synthetic oil and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ,
Does anyone run a somewhat accurate temperture gauge that might have used both oils ..... and indicate which might run a bit cooler Synthetic or Non Synthetic , or do they run the same temperture ..
Just Wondering ??? Larry B.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Temperatures will generally be pretty constant up to the point that you are exceeding the capacity of the radiator/cooling system in summer heat. So if you are less than that both oils will register the same-even though one might be allowing a little less friction. I seriously doubt if you will see a difference. For what its worth I have looked pretty closely at coolant temperature readouts on my OBD-II.

The best advice I could offer (unless someone here has the definitive advice) is to find someone with an OBD II: select a set speed (after warmup) on a flat road with one oil. Reapeat with another oil on a similar day. I'd help you but Cali is a long way to Pa.
cheers.gif

Maybe some nerd here has done this experiment
wink.gif

There have been very few studies that I have seen - it would be interesting to see two EXACT engines, side by side in a lab environment. Of course repeat and repeat and then switch oils across both engines.....

I always thought oil temp gauges are for watching your oil warm up to a temp range that is suitable for gunning it....because watching a temp gauge for run away overheat...well it may be too late.

I noticed on my 92 Eagle Talon turbo, with a mechanical auto meter coolent temp gauge hooked direclty into the system with it's own sending unit ( factory gauge was then rendored usless) that Mobil 1 did in fact make it run slightly cooler, especially when the thermostat first opened. Coolent temps would go to about 185 (180 degree stat), then go right down to 170-175 and stay about at 175 for the first 10-20 minutes of driving. They'd then level off at about 180-185, possibly 190 in excessive heat. With pennzoil 10w-30, in stop and go, the temps would go **** near to 200, with the radiator fans on. Several other of my fellow DSM bretheran noticed the exact same thing with regards to coolent temperature, not oil temperature.

I would think they would both run at the same temperature, but the synthetic would take the beating better than regular oil would, IE. resisting sludging.

Hello ,
Thank you for kindly for the replies .... I was curious and just one more push to make me make the switch to synthetic ... I do some heavier towing infrequently , and trying to weigh the xtra cost vs. all the benefits ... thanks again >>> Larry B.
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back