Synthetic Oil Life Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this while doing an internet search today. Perhaps BITOG members? It's a very interesting read. It's something we all ask ourselves, "how long does synthetic oil last?" They will test in order Mobil 1, Amsoil, Red Line and Royal Purple.

Here's an LS1 study done with Mobil 1 5W30. The oil stays in the engine until analysis shows it is no longer safe to use.

Oil Study

Mobil 1 Results

Yes, the study was done by 3MP, and the M1 has been drained by now. I believe Amsoil is up next.

If you go to the UOA forum on BITOG, you'll find comments on just about every single sample that was analyzed during the M1 study.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Yes, the study was done by 3MP, and the M1 has been drained by now. I believe Amsoil is up next.

He's already sampled the Amsoil for the 1000 mile interval, and should have the results early next week. He ran a 3k interval with Amsoil first, then drained it and started fresh again, to make the test more fair (instead of just directly switching and starting the test right away, which wouldn't be as good an indicator)

He doesn't seem to be putting on the miles as fast this time around though, but maybe he was away on vacation.

Sorry guys, yea, this installment has taken forever to get to, I'm not logging near the miles this year that I did last year, but the next sample is coming soon...

Cheers, 3MP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back