Synthetic Oil Life Findings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this "learning" recently posted on the Synthetic Oil Life Study site quite interesting. Seems counter intuitive.

quote:

Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it.

quote:

While the wear metals all accumulated steadily over the course of the test, the highest concentrations of accumulation per mile occurred in the first 3,000 miles of the test! From the 3,000-mile mark all the way to 18,000 miles, only lead showed an increase in per-mile wear beyond 3,000 miles. Yet even with an increased wear rate, lead wore the least in terms of absolute wear. For iron and copper, the longer the oil remained in service, the lower the wear rate got.

In case it isn't obvious yet, this means that the most wear occurs in the first 3,000 miles.

I've read the summary twice. Still don't fully understand why. Gotta be more than just "top off" oil?
confused.gif

I do agree with this part

(While the wear metals all accumulated steadily over the course of the test, the highest concentrations of accumulation per mile occurred in the first 3,000 miles of the test)

only because when the oil and filter is changed some looser motors and certain design's make the old main bearing knock till reprimed .

Now they are not talking SL GF-3 dino's but when the ones that shear to 20wts at around 3k or so and the owner is rompimg on it wear sure could rise even with lead .

Things often don't work the way you expect often due to an overlooked factor. Were the filters being changed the same time as the oil? Over time, as it catches material, a filter gains efficiency at the expense of flow. Maybe frequent oil changers like me should be using FRAM. Were the oil filters primed before installing? Does the oil flow and protect better once it is sheared down to 20 weight? Do the UOA's here support this? Thank you for bringing this up. We need much more study.

The other factor in changing oil is sludge.

This is just the first findings of the first of a few test. I can't wait to find out how the Amsoil and Redline do.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back