Synthetic Oil in Yamaha F115 Four Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Yamaha F115 Four-stroke outboard and to date I have used conventional 4-stroke oil. In all my vehicles, I use synthetic oil exclusively because I believe it provides superior flow at low temps and better protection at high temps. Oil cost is not a concern.

I would like to switch to full synthetic in my Yamaha, but from what I understand Yamaha doesn't recommnend synthetic oil solely because it hasn't been tested in their engines.

I can't think of any reason why synthetic wouldn't be a better choice, but I have a nagging doubt based on the fact Yamaha doesn't recommend it.

Anybody here running synthetic in their Yamaha or Merc 4-strokes? Experience? I appreciate any comments and feedback. Thanks.

Yamaha does not know anything about oil.........

Just a way for them to push their oils at jacked up prices. I have seen this time and again. Put doubt in the new owners mind about oil and leave them scared about their warranty etc.

Amsoil synthetic 4 stroke marine oil. Or use another syn that is rated for marine use. I would use a marine rated oil for the rust protection which is very important.

I've been a marine tech for 3 years. Yamaha has thousands of engines out there with 5,6, 7 thousand hours on them. A good majority of them run Yamalube. If money is not a problem then why not run it? It does have a good track record. As far as synthetic, Can't help you on that one. I have never put it in a 4-stroke outboard.

Originally Posted By: Lindeman
I've been a marine tech for 3 years. Yamaha has thousands of engines out there with 5,6, 7 thousand hours on them. A good majority of them run Yamalube. If money is not a problem then why not run it? It does have a good track record. As far as synthetic, Can't help you on that one. I have never put it in a 4-stroke outboard.

I agree that a regular car oil, or HDEO should not be used but a marine specific oil. Whether it should be the Yamalube or not is another question. I am sure it would be decent oil.
If it was my expensive outboard I would use the best syn marine 4 stroke oil I could find.

Quote:
I can't think of any reason why synthetic wouldn't be a better choice, but I have a nagging doubt based on the fact Yamaha doesn't recommend it.

More than likely its because they never had a Synthetic oil to offer its customers. Synthetic oil is not going to harm the engine. Synthetic oil is still oil, its just made from pure chemicals, not refined from crude oil. That's the major difference.

Ask yourself this; How many refineries does Yamaha own? None I am betting. Reality is that Yamalube or any other oem brand name are often no better that any other petroleum oil on the shelf. They contract with oil companies who put their label on it, ship it to the dealers and charge a high price. Dealers get incentives to sell oem branded oil because it a profitable product for the oem Boat, ATV, Motorcycles owners are more apt too buy the oem brand because they perceive it better for the equipment when in reality its no better that any other oil.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Quote:

More than likely its because they never had a Synthetic oil to offer its customers. Synthetic oil is not going to harm the engine. Synthetic oil is still oil, its just made from pure chemicals, not refined from crude oil. That's the major difference.

Ask yourself this; How many refineries does Yamaha own? None I am betting. Reality is that Yamalube or any other oem brand name are often no better that any other petroleum oil on the shelf. They contract with oil companies who put their label on it, ship it to the dealers and charge a high price. Dealers get incentives to sell oem branded oil because it a profitable product for the oem Boat, ATV, Motorcycles owners are more apt too buy the oem brand because they perceive it better for the equipment when in reality its no better that any other oil.

Well said.........

I use Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w40 and haven't had a problem with Yamaha F40 outboard. It's very clean inside and runs great. The biggest problem with 4 stroke outboards these days is the E10 fuel and moisture wreaking havoc on carbs and fuel injectors.

I would agree that Using a good marine grade synthetic oil is not a bad idea and probably would not incure damage to your engine. But if you have a gut feeling, then continue with your conventional 4-stroke oil. After all it is what they did there testing with.

I agree with the fuel issue. Unless your motor requires a high octane fuel, run low grade fuel, and avoid E fuel if possible. Keep up with your water sep's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back