Synthetic oil in a new 2014 Versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a '14 Nissan Versa last December and have put 2200 miles on it bought it with 0 miles. Gonna change the oil at 3000 miles and was planning on going full synthetic Pennz Platinum, is this a good idea or should I wait a couple of more oil changes? Also Nissan recommends 5w30 but I want to squeeze the most mileage out of it, can I get away with a 5w20 oil without any damage or warranty issues?

You really won't be able to recognize a difference in going with the lighter oil especially living in the south. As for warranty, you have to go with what is in the manual, if it calls for 5w30, use a 30W and be happy. I would go with 0w30, that won't void any warranty. I think PP 5w30 is one of the better off the shelf oils IMHO. I would recommend that at the OEM OCI. I can't imagine it is 3k miles though.

Does it allow for 5w20? If not then use 5w30 only. Thats surprising though that such a new car still uses 5w30. If I were you change out the FF at 3000 miles, then do a run or two of 3000 mile OCI's with PYB, then go to PP for the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
You really won't be able to recognize a difference in going with the lighter oil especially living in the south. As for warranty, you have to go with what is in the manual, if it calls for 5w30, use a 30W and be happy. I would go with 0w30, that won't void any warranty. I think PP 5w30 is one of the better off the shelf oils IMHO. I would recommend that at the OEM OCI. I can't imagine it is 3k miles though.

You really think that 5w20 wont give me a little better gas mileage?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Does it allow for 5w20? If not then use 5w30 only. Thats surprising though that such a new car still uses 5w30. If I were you change out the FF at 3000 miles, then do a run or two of 3000 mile OCI's with PYB, then go to PP for the life of the car.

Thats what I was thinking, I want the engine to break in properly, Ive heard not to use synthetic oil in a new engine because it wont wear properly, but then again I heard that GM vehicle use Mobile 1 as their factory fill. I just want the best fuel mileage and protection without voiding warranty and possible grenading the engine.

Originally Posted By: TheThickster
Originally Posted By: Cooper

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Thats what I was thinking, I want the engine to break in properly, Ive heard not to use synthetic oil in a new engine because it wont wear properly, but then again I heard that GM vehicle use Mobile 1 as their factory fill. I just want the best fuel mileage and protection without voiding warranty and possible grenading the engine.

It will get great gas mileage anyway, PYB 5w30 to flush out break in contaminants, then switch to PP 5w30 which is a light 30 to begin with.

I just got a '14 Nissan Versa last December and have put 2200 miles on it bought it with 0 miles. Gonna change the oil at 3000 miles and was planning on going full synthetic Pennz Platinum, is this a good idea or should I wait a couple of more oil changes? Also Nissan recommends 5w30 but I want to squeeze the most mileage out of it, can I get away with a 5w20 oil without any damage or warranty issues?

TheThicster,

Check your manual and see what it says. During driving your oil wether dino or synthetic might thin out to a 20 weight anyway. If the manual give you a range of oils to use based on your region then go ahead. Don't do anything drastic to viod your warranty. I think PP is an excellent choice although I'm more of a Mobil 1 person myself. Talk to your dealership and ask them if 5w-20 weight is OK. Perhaps they offer it anyway so that way they can put it in for you.

Durango

It will, but it won't be noticeable. PP 5w-30 will treat you very well. So will PYB if you're sticking with the 3750 mile OCI, for that matter.

Are you sure Nissan recommends 5w-30 for the Versa? my i4 Altima 2014 says 0w20 in the book.

Changing to synthetic, yes.

Using 5w20:

For warranty, no.

For mileage, maybe.

For wear, unknown.

THANKS EVERYONE

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner
Are you sure Nissan recommends 5w-30 for the Versa? my i4 Altima 2014 says 0w20 in the book.

Thats what the manuals says and the underhood label.

Use what the owners manual tells you to use - 5W-30. Especially in Texas where it gets kinda hot in the summer. If you want to save money, buy one less Starbucks a week or brown bag your lunch every now and then.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Use what the owners manual tells you to use - 5W-30. Especially in Texas where it gets kinda hot in the summer. If you want to save money, buy one less Starbucks a week or brown bag your lunch every now and then.

+1 Good advice!
smile.gif

THANKS EVERYONE

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner

Thats what the manuals says and the underhood label.

That's interesting. I wonder why they chose not to suggest 0w-20 for the Versa. Maybe 5w-30 is cheaper and it helps keep down the TCO?

0W20 called for in our '13 Sentra with 5w30 listed as acceptable if 0w20 isn't available.

Hope you have better luck with your Versa than we did... bought it brand new in Nov 2012 and it made it 7k miles before needing the engine replaced, at 10k it needed wheel speed sensors and at 20k the motor started rattling again... traded that POS in quick!

Those new Renault HR and MR series engines don't impress me one bit! [censored] Nissan, why Renault? why?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Contrary to popular belief, 5W-30 is not a thick oil; not even close.

But it is significantly thicker when cold. If the OEM calls for 5w30 then use it with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back