Synthetic oil ? for supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! first day on the forum! I was wondering what the suggestion for oil for a kenne bell supercharger is. Kenne bell themselves suggest Redline 50w, but what exact oil should I use- 5w50 etc? also, since this blower produces a fair amount of heat, what synthetic do you guys recommend, please be weight specific- thanks in advance.

Welcome!
You will find weeks if not months of reading material here.
Their reccomendation for Redline is excellent advice. Especially if you are going to be running it hard on a track.
It is accepted that if you are running a oil cooled turbo or super charger you need a synthetic, just to deal with the heat.

Although I have heard people tell me that you can go 3,000 miles with a good dino oil in a vehicle with a turbo, I would feel very uncomforable doing it.
Lots of deposits, the potential for lots of fuel dilution, and lots of heat. It calls for a good synthetic.

Are you going to be racing this on a track? Or just 70-80 mph on the highway? Knowing your driving habits, the make and model, and the engine will go a long way with what to reccommend.

Agree with SuperDave, need to know what kind of driving this if for and what vehicle is this on. Also agree with their Red Line recommendation. Might want to contact them direct to find out which 50W Red Line product they are talking about.

Regular Red Line comes in 15W-50 and 20W-50 and their racing oil comes in a 50WT.

Are you talking about oil for the supercharger or oil for the engine?

If you are talking about oil for the Kenne Bell blower (self contained lube), just use whatever oil they recommend.

Either way, you won't go wrong with RedLine. Outstanding products, world class lubricants. If Kenne Bell recommends RedLine 50wt for their s/c, use it. JMO.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Are you talking about supercharger oil, or oil for the supercharged engine?

If you are talking about oil for the Kenne Bell (self contained lube), just use whatever oil they recommend.

Either way, you won't go wrong with RedLine. Outstanding products. If Kenne Bell recommends RedLine 50wt for their s/c, use it. JMO.

Excellent question.

this is for a 1997 mustang cobra with 35000 miles. I am really wanting to start tracking it as the suspension is setup, but right now it's fast mountain pass driving. I sorry for the vagueness of the op but I would really appreciate your suggestions for oil in the blower and the engine as I timed it right to do them both. As as the redline 50W suggestion by KB for the blower- i ignorance I plead- is it just called 50W? or is it 15w50, I honestly don't know. thanks for your replies guys.

If it's oil for the supercharger itself, might be worth looking to a GM dealer. They have a specific "supercharger oil". It's designed specifically for the unit on the 3.8L SC V-6. I have no idea whether it's suitable for other applications.

Back when I had such a car (a 98 Regal GS), I changed the SC fluid msyelf by opening the fill hole (only access to SC oil) and suctioning the fluid out. The fresh fluid came in small squeeze bottles. It's almost water clear, and by visual observation, appears to be substantially less viscous than motor oil. Of course, It came with no info about its physical properties, so...

You MIGHT try this stuff.

I have an Eaton M90 GenV supercharger on my GTP. It requires a special GM oil that is available at the dealer or online. It is not reccomended to use something else. Its a good idea to change the S/C Oil every 25,000 - 30,000 miles depending on driving style.

Call Kenne Bell. I would get exactly what they say.

Originally Posted By: encasedmetal
I sorry for the vagueness of the op but I would really appreciate your suggestions for oil in the blower and the engine as I timed it right to do them both. As as the redline 50W suggestion by KB for the blower- i ignorance I plead- is it just called 50W? or is it 15w50, I honestly don't know. thanks for your replies guys.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?productID=16&subCategoryID=2&categoryID=2

It's a straight 50-weight, but it "acts" like a 15W-50 as RedLine oils have inherent multigrade properties.
If this is what KB recommends, I would use it.

For the engine, almost any 5W-30/0W-30 will suffice. Pick your favorite brand and go to town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back