synthetic oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a synthetic oil filter is a filter with some sort of synthetic media inside(as opposed to a natural element like cotton or paper), or simply a marketing word aimed at synthetic oil users who "must have the best"?

The reason I ask is that the Purolator PureOne filter apparently filters and flows better than the Mobil1 synthetic oil filter, yet the PureOne is not marketed as a synthetic oil filter, just an oil filter.

To my knowledge, synthetic filters are made with synthetic media like mircoglass or something like that. They will generally have a higher flow rate and a higher filtration efficiency. I don't know much about either the Mobil1 or Purolator filters though.

The choices for oil filters here in Canada are a lot more limited than in the US, but we can get the NAPA Golds or Carquest Premium (both are rebadged Wix filters) and the K&N oil filters are another good choice. And even though Fram has a pretty bad name, the Extended Guard filters are a very good choice and you can find them at Canadian Tire and Part Source. I actually just bought one of those filters for my Corvette, as I think these are very well made and a pretty good value for the money (I got it on sale at Part Source last week for $9.99)

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
So, a synthetic oil filter is a filter with some sort of synthetic media inside(as opposed to a natural element like cotton or paper), or simply a marketing word aimed at synthetic oil users who "must have the best"?

The reason I ask is that the Purolator PureOne filter apparently filters and flows better than the Mobil1 synthetic oil filter, yet the PureOne is not marketed as a synthetic oil filter, just an oil filter.

To be clear, any filter can be used with synthetic oil. And yes, there are oil filters made with synthetic filtering media, but that doesn't mean you have to run synthetic oil with them.

It's all a play on words by the marketing guys. They say a filter is "syntactic oil compatible" because they expect that people running full synthetic oil will have long OCIs (10K+), and as such their filter is also able to go long OCIs along with the synthetic oil.

You can run any filter with any oil as long as you take heed on the correct OCI for each.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

M1 and Pureone oil filters are both synthetic blends.

Correct. The PureONE is a synthetic blend per their email to my question about it. However, they (like others) will not state what percentages are used. Their filtration efficencies at 5 to 20 microns tells me they have one of the best, if not the best, filters available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back