Synthetic oil differences

Maybe somebody can educate me here, what is the difference in base stocks between Amsoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State, Pennzoil and Supertech let's say..
Just curious. I guess it's the additive package that extends the life of the oil?
Just looking to learn.
Thank you.

Maybe somebody can educate me here, what is the difference in base stocks between Amsoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State, Pennzoil and Supertech let's say..
Just curious. I guess it's the additive package that extends the life of the oil?
Just looking to learn.
Thank you.
Yes, the additive package is what determines the OCI length suitability, though base oil selection will also play a role. PAO has more oxidation resistance than Group III and lower baes for example.

Assuming we are just talking about synthetic lubes:
- AMSOIL uses a blend of bases. I don't know the specifics on what AMSOIL uses, but likely PAO, POE and some Group III in the SS series. The lower series (OE/XL) are Group III.

- The Mobil 1 product family varies significantly depending on the product. M1 EP 0w-20 is basically straight PAO, while some of the oils have next to none. They also use Shell's Group III GTL bases in varying quantities as well along with POE and AN's.

- Pennzoil/Quaker State use both the Shell GTL base oils and the XHVI Group III bases. They also use some of Mobil's EHC bases, but not sure if that's in their synthetics or not, I suspect it's reserved for their blend oils.

- Supertech is a Warren product that uses Group III in their synthetic lubricants, though we've seen MSDS sheets that seemed to imply they were using Mobil's EHC Group II+ bases as well.

Mobil has a clear advantage in base oil selection because they produce so many of them, while other companies buy them.

Yes, the additive package is what determines the OCI length suitability, though base oil selection will also play a role. PAO has more oxidation resistance than Group III and lower baes for example.

- AMSOIL uses a blend of bases. I don't know the specifics on what AMSOIL uses, but likely PAO, POE and some Group III in the SS series. The lower series (OE/XL) are Group III.

- The Mobil 1 product family varies significantly depending on the product. M1 EP 0w-20 is basically straight PAO, while some of the oils have next to none. They also use Shell's Group III GTL bases in varying quantities as well along with POE and AN's.

- Pennzoil/Quaker State use both the Shell GTL base oils and the XHVI Group III bases. They also use some of Mobil's EHC bases, but not sure if that's in their synthetics or not, I suspect it's reserved for their blend oils.

- Supertech is a Warren product that uses Group III in their synthetic lubricants, though we've seen MSDS sheets that seemed to imply they were using Mobil's EHC Group II+ bases as well.

Mobil has a clear advantage in base oil selection because they produce so many of them, while other companies buy them.
Thank you.

Thank you.. what is your synthetic oil preference?

Thank you.

Thank you.. what is your synthetic oil preference?
I generally use Mobil 1, though I've been running Ravenol in the SRT. It's PAO-based and I was able to get it at a good price to Blauparts. I've had excellent service and very clean engines on tear-down using Mobil 1 products, though I've used both Castrol and Pennzoil synthetics a bit too, as well as Motul. Always end up back on M1 though.

I generally use Mobil 1, though I've been running Ravenol in the SRT. It's PAO-based and I was able to get it at a good price to Blauparts. I've had excellent service and very clean engines on tear-down using Mobil 1 products, though I've used both Castrol and Pennzoil synthetics a bit too, as well as Motul. Always end up back on M1 though.
Thank you. Basically with Mobil 1 you know you getting a good product, with EP or Advanced but unless you're running 0w-20 you really don't know what you're getting in the base? LOL

Just looking to learn.
Thank you.
You should read the home page and motor oil 101. Very helpful for the beginning stages of your oil obsession.

Thank you. Basically with Mobil 1 you know you getting a good product, with EP or Advanced but unless you're running 0w-20 you really don't know what you're getting in the base? LOL
Yeah, they really seem to play around with the base oil blend, lol. The FS 0w-40 has been changed so many times I've lost count, hahaha.

Mobil has access to an extensive portfolio of base oils including a huge group of esters, AN's, PAO's, mPAO's and of course they buy GTL from Shell. Gives them a big leg up on having advanced formulas.

Yeah, they really seem to play around with the base oil blend, lol. The FS 0w-40 has been changed so many times I've lost count, hahaha.

Mobil has access to an extensive portfolio of base oils including a huge group of esters, AN's, PAO's, mPAO's and of course they buy GTL from Shell. Gives them a big leg up on having advanced formulas.
So obviously your choice of oils is Mobil 1 out of Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline and Castrol. As you said..
Thank you, you seem very well educated in this.

Speaking of something other than the base oil, I like Moly but can't find a good low Noack syn oil with lots of Moly and reasonable price. I would use Amsoil SS 10W-30 if it was %40-50 off.
so all my engines have been suffering for a long time without moly. I mean I don't have to have it and been buying oils that use cheaper replacements.

Back