Synthetic oil bad in a lawnmower? Any truth in this self proclaimed experts statements?

I was starting the mud motor on my boat the other day (212 predator engine 6.5hp) in 24 degree temperatures. Sure was glad I had switched it to synthetic oil, it was hard enough to pull over with the stiff grease in the drive shaft. Low temps and high temps are where synthetic oil shines but you notice it way more in low temps.

350Rocket

It isn’t break in but the manual has some specific advice about change intervals.

I’ve come to like the Honda oil for no others real reason than it’s the right amount and you don’t end up with partial quarts sitting around .
I kept the bottle for my champion generator because it's like 1.2L or something (exact refill for the generator). I used the supplied oil for 3 hours of break in the changed it with Pennzoil platinum 5w30 but I will always transfer the oil into the original oil bottle for exact refill.

I was starting the mud motor on my boat the other day (212 predator engine 6.5hp) in 24 degree temperatures. Sure was glad I had switched it to synthetic oil, it was hard enough to pull over with the stiff grease in the drive shaft. Low temps and high temps are where synthetic oil shines but you notice it way more in low temps.
What winter rating the oil holds is agnostic to the base stock composition. Either it meets the requirements for the rating or it doesn’t. Yes it’s true that a conventional oil won’t meet the requirements for a 0W rating but I doubt you’re starting your boat at -35.

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
Pull start motors is where I can tell the difference in 15W and 0W - even in Texas winters. Figure it’s easier on small batteries like my lawn tractor too - so swapping in 0W40 for winter …

I bought a jug of M1 15W-50 for the new Gravely (Kawasaki FR651V 21.5 HP).

I figure it makes things simpler to use in the engine since that’s what the transaxles call for.

1 oil to rule them all!

I live in a pretty extreme environment, unfortunately I do have to start small engines in sub-zero (-35f is not uncommon) temps on occasion, usually in an emergency like starting generators during a power outage in blizzards ect... It’s actually pretty serious business because there’s no one to come save you and if you lose power for too long you freeze up in pretty short order. So I use light synthetics and have back ups to back ups. I also keep a small quantity of fuel in a warmer location so it will atomize better and actually start.

I'm sure it is my B&S has only lasted 18 years on it. That is where I get rid of all my left over top off oil. That Briggs is likely to implode any moment even though it isn't running!

I was changing the oil in my JD 425 a while back and my neighbor, who worked for Auto Zone a while back, came along and noticed I was putting in synthetic oil, and he proceeded to ask/tell me I could never go back to dino oil. . . Just complete ignorance on the subject, plain and simple.

ANYONE who believes that the difference between syn/dino oil is a deciding factor in oil suitability has not been away for the last 30 years or more. I could go into the different reasons in which this makes no sense, I'll just say one thing, an awful lot of supposedly dino oils need syn added to make grade, one example is 0W20.
I've used both oils in cars, mowers, all forms of L&G equipment and switched back and forth for years and years and never a problem.

"That includes the size of oil holes so that the right amount of oil will flow through them to do the job required"

If the proper viscosity of synthetic oil is used, then no worries there.

I have used 20 or 30 grade automotive oils in my big air compressors in the garage for decades. I think they recommend non detergent oils so there is no foaming but these days what good oil foams anyway. And think of the build up resulting from a non detergent oil. It cannot be good for anything.

Same oils in all my yard equipment as well.

Ali