Synthetic Oil and the Hemi Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 2015 Challenger with a 5.7L Hemi. I am getting some clatter that lasts a about 10 seconds on start up if it has not been started for over 2 days. If it is started every day, no clatter.

The car only has a couple hundred miles on it but I want to get rid of the clatter. I have been checking a lot of threads on various forums. Some say certain brands of synthetic cure this problem while others say synthetic makes it worse.

Looking for any actual experience with this problem that has been fixed by switching from the factory fill to a full synthetic. The book specifies 5W-20 oil and many of the threads I have read say that using any other weight of oil will adversely affect the MDS system.

Thanks in advance. Dave

Dave,

Welcome aboard! While I have no experience with the HEMI itself, we have several hundred Dodge- V6 Pentastars in our fleet and they all do the exact same thing.

Does this engine have a oil filter situated so that it can drain (Flange end down), when the engine is off? If so, I would start with a different oil filter......The one supplied from the factory may be draining, over a couple of days.

The oil drains from the passage ways and the Hydraulic lifters compress a bit when the engine is shut off so there is air that has to be displaced before proper oiling.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Dave,

Welcome aboard! While I have no experience with the HEMI itself, we have several hundred Dodge- V6 Pentastars in our fleet and they all do the exact same thing.

That certainly is not good news.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Does this engine have a oil filter situated so that it can drain (Flange end down), when the engine is off? If so, I would start with a different oil filter......The one supplied from the factory may be draining, over a couple of days.

The oil filter is on the bottom of the engine on the left rear side. It goes in straight up so you can fill it completely with oil when changing. The car has the factory MOPAR filter since I just got it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The oil drains from the passage ways and the Hydraulic lifters compress a bit when the engine is shut off so there is air that has to be displaced before proper oiling.

Makes sense to me. I still am hoping for a fix. Interestingly, I also have a new 2014 Ram with only a few hundred miles on it that has the exact same engine as the Challenger. Does not click or clatter at all on start up.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I cut open a mopar filter recently and I think there are many filters out there that are better. I'd switch filters to start.

Good idea. Do you have any recommendations?

I too think a different filter may fix this. What size does it take? I have had a lot of issues with this on my old Jeep so I have some ideas depending on size.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I too think a different filter may fix this. What size does it take? I have had a lot of issues with this on my old Jeep so I have some ideas depending on size.

The MOPAR Part Number for the Factory Filter is MO-339

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

you sure? I think that's for the old 3.5 V6(pre-Pentastar)... the Hemi should be MO-899, which Crosses to (amongst others) Motorcraft fl 820s, and Fram PH2 (according to the Fram Catalog anyways..)

I only know that b/c i looked it up for my Brother when he bought a '13 Hemi Challenger(R/T Blacktop) and that look up worked well for him, having a few fl820s's around for his Mustangs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre

you sure? I think that's for the old 3.5 V6(pre-Pentastar)... the Hemi should be MO-899, which Crosses to (amongst others) Motorcraft fl 820s, and Fram PH2 (according to the Fram Catalog anyways..)

I only know that b/c i looked it up for my Brother when he bought a '13 Hemi Challenger(R/T Blacktop) and that look up worked well for him, having a few fl820s's around for his Mustangs.

You sir are correct. The filter for my 2014 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi is the MO-339. Since the engine is the same, I mistakenly assumed the filter was the same. The correct filter (for 2015 Challenger), as you said, is MO-899. I called the dealer parts department to be sure on both filter numbers. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Last edited:
Dave,

It's pretty harmless really.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Dave,

It's pretty harmless really.

Maybe, but I will try whatever I can to fix the problem.

when i used to have a 2012 ram it would do the same with the MO899. I started using the Fl820s on the first oil change and never again did i have start up tick.

Try the fl820S next time, it is also cheaper than the mopar filter. Good luck

^^^^^This.

That's why I asked you what size, cause if a Motorcraft "S" series fits it like most Chryslers, that would be your first and best choice to try IMO.

In your case apparently the FL-820s, in my case it was the FL-400s that worked miracles on my Jeep. I have found a couple others since then that also worked, but I would start with the FL-820s.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Have you talked to the service department?

Yes sir. They say it is normal for this engine.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
when i used to have a 2012 ram it would do the same with the MO899. I started using the Fl820s on the first oil change and never again did i have start up tick.

Try the fl820S next time, it is also cheaper than the mopar filter. Good luck

Thanks. I will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back