Synthetic Oil and Gas Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Z-28 and religously change out the Mobil 1 every 3K. (It's for peace of mind, I know it isn't necessary. I get about 1 MPG after a fresh oil change. I get about the same results (1 MPG increase) with my wife's Mountaineer, but it gets 5 oil changes.

In the following;

1986 VW Jetta I4
1989 VW Jetta I4
1990 F-150 302 v8
1994 F-150 351 v8
1996 Chev C1500 V6
1998 Honda Accord I4
1999 Ford Taurus V6
2000 Chev Silverado V8
2001 Honda Civic I4
2002 Chev Silverado V8
2003 PT Cruiser I4
2003 Ford Taurus V6
2005 Toyota Corolla I4

Ran Mobil one for one oil change atleast (normally 5k to 7k) and kept track of EVERY gas fill up and over the life of the Oil change No difference on gas mileage on ANY of the above.

On the Corolla, also ran Castrol Syntec 5w-30 and no difference in MPG.

Best mileage on the Corolla has been with Castrol GTX (46 mpg) and the 2000 Silverado (24 mpg)is with Pennzoil.

The 99 Taurus (31 mpg) got it's best mileage with Pennzoil also.

Also, no MPG difference using 10w-30 or 5w-30..
dunno.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

probably the best way to increase your mpg, is to avoid "jack rabbit" starts, drive like ya have some sence, and keep the tires inflated properly! you'd be amazed at the increase! lol
shocked.gif

quote:

How much difference did you see in cold vs. hot months?

Hi,

The BEST I'll ever see in the winter months is around 41 mpg. The biggest reason is because I run full blown Snow tires that are atleast 1.5" wider than the normal tires. And the tread is very non-mpg.
spaz.gif

I can watch the miles per tank go from 430-450 before the low fuel light goes on to 390-410.

I have checked the odo with my GPS, the mile markers on I-15 and both tires are super close to each other. It's the tread that is lowering the fuel mileage.

quote:

46 mpg in a Corolla is nearing Prius and Civic-Hybrid territory.

My commute is perfect for getting MPG. It's about 2 miles to the freeway, 60 miles to the exit and except for one hill that is about 500 foot climb, it's pretty level. Then 1.5 miles to work. Do the same going home at 2am which means no slow down or stopping. I set the cruise and away I go.

Also, the lowest elevation is around 4500 ft so less fuel needed since there is less air.

For my 44-46 MPG, I keep the car around 65 mph. If I bump it up to 70-75 it drops down to 40-42.

Overall in 37k miles, my average is just a little below 42 mpg.

Not bad for a $14k car.
grin.gif

(I like it!)
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS:
quote:

probably the best way to increase your mpg, is to avoid "jack rabbit" starts, drive like ya have some sence, and keep the tires inflated properly! you'd be amazed at the increase!

So true!
bowdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back