Synthetic oil all of its life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 08 ram 1500 3.7 bought new has 50k in miles. I have had 5w20 Mobil 1 since new, I noticed some days it sounds like a dry start make a little noise till oil hits it. I'm thinking bout try mobil super 5000 or Pennzoil. I change it every 5k.

I'd look at your filter choice first for start up noise like you are describing. What filter are you using?

If your driving habits are NOT SEVERE....than switching to a dino using a 5K OCI....makes sense. 5K on a synthetic IMO, is a waste of good oil that could go much further.

Have heard good reports on Mobil Super 5000....and think that would be an excellent switch for your situation and 5K OCI's.

Agree with KC....on trying another filter to see if that will help the noise problem at startup. Might consider using a Fram ULTRA....and using it through two OCI's (i.e. 2 X 5000). Its reasonably priced (@ WM), and considered one of the best high-end filters available..

I had dry start issues with my Taurus using Purolator. Switched to Motorcraft and the problem went away. Purolator has obviously gone cheap on the anti-drainback valves.

Filter 1st, then try another oil if needed.
And sure hear/read a lot of good things regards to MS5K and Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
I had dry start issues with my Taurus using Purolator. Switched to Motorcraft and the problem went away. Purolator has obviously gone cheap on the anti-drainback valves.

Same issue here for my ranger, changed filter too purolator pureone last time i changed oil, had dry start sounds for two weeks, then went away. been almost 2 months, sounds fine at startup now, no noise. I will change it too motorcraft this fall though, cheaper in cost for the motorcraft.

A dry start is when a defective anti backflow valve on the oil filter allows the oil to drain out of the valve train galleries, through the filter, and back down to the oil pan. Has nothing to do with the position of the filter as far as base up or down. The oil pump must then refill the galleries before the cam and lifters get oil. This usually takes a few to several seconds before any lifters that have leaked down get filled.

My buddies ranger did the same thing, after he switched to an OEM filter and went back to using motor craft oil it was fine?

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
I'm wary of purolator these days. I've used a lot of pure1s but i saw this a few months ago...

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

Bottom of this page... http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

I don't see why that's odd
21.gif

Basically - Go by the OEM's filter change interval. If there isn't one, then change it every 3,000 miles or 3 months. It is a CYA legal statement. They aren't arbitrarily recommending you run the filter a bazillion miles because that would be application dependent. So they recommend running what the OEM states (so for two OCI's with a Honda for example) unless there isn't a recommendation in which case they default to a "worst case scenario" 3,000 miles/3 months policy.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
mobil 1 tends to be a noisy oil.also, a pao oil does not adhere to metal.so try a good ester oil see if that helps when you first start your car in the morning.

I disagree with most of your post. For one thing, oils are not straight PAO, they are a blend of other base stocks, althought some oils may may have a higher % of PAO than others. As for M1, My cams are easy to touch through the oil fill hole. Even after several days the cams have an oily film on them and give a normal start. Also what normal vehicle would need an oil like Red Line for proper lubrication? None that I know of. That's not to say If you want to use RL that's fine.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
I'm wary of purolator these days. I've used a lot of pure1s but i saw this a few months ago...

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

They are in the business of selling filters. OF COURSE they are going to recommend that you replace yours every 3K /3 months!!

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Purlator

Purolator what??? I've had start up knock on a Classic and will no longer use those... Now I'm having same issue with a M1 filter on my '98 Grand Marquis... Oil was changed maybe a month ago, previous filter was same without a problem for almost 13 months... Gonna pull the M1 today and install a Motorcraft or Pure One...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: dslofti
Purlator

Purolator what??? I've had start up knock on a Classic and will no longer use those... Now I'm having same issue with a M1 filter on my '98 Grand Marquis... Oil was changed maybe a month ago, previous filter was same without a problem for almost 13 months... Gonna pull the M1 today and install a Motorcraft or Pure One...

Your odds of success will be higher with a Motorcraft "S" series IMO. Doesn't that take the FL-820S? Definitely the way to go if you are fighting noise.

I've had the same experience with Purolators making startup noise in both our Jeeps. Went away with Wix filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back