Synthetic OCI variations

When full Synthetic was all the rage over 20 years ago, some people were talking about 10k changes...that's BS now of course. My question is, on my car with almost 300k, as long as I'm cold temp checking it regularly (twice a week), Is 6K still acceptable, or should I dial it back to 5k?

Thanks.

When full Synthetic was all the rage over 20 years ago, some people were talking about 10k changes...that's BS now of course. My question is, on my car with almost 300k, as long as I'm cold temp checking it regularly (twice a week), Is 6K still acceptable, or should I dial it back to 5k?

Thanks.
Completely dependent on the engine as well as the oil being used.

I have changed the oil on my 1NZ-FE engine on about a 10,000 mile average using whatever synthetic oil is on sale. I posted pictures here a while back showing it was very clean inside after over 275,000 miles, now that I'm nearing 300,000 it's still doing fine with no abnormal consumption or other issues. So as far as it being BS I'd say it is not.

But on the other hand I only run a 7500 mile OCI on my old 1MZ-FE (nearly 450,000 miles) and I still use an oil with Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval due to the proven oxidation resistance of that approval. A very different engine with very different demands on the oil.

When full Synthetic was all the rage over 20 years ago, some people were talking about 10k changes...that's BS now of course.
I love these blanket statements. :ROFLMAO:

IMO, it depends on engine and operating conditions.

10K mile OCI on synthetic is relatively easy on just about any engine if it's mostly highway driving, for example.

My question is, on my car with almost 300k, as long as I'm cold temp checking it regularly (twice a week), Is 6K still acceptable, or should I dial it back to 5k?
"My car" is what?

It's not strange to see 12,000+ mile OCI's on Supertech, let alone what people are running with Amsoil.

I would recommend getting your used oil analyzed from your next oil change to see how the oil you use suits your engine and application.

With an oil report, we can make a better recommendation for your use case and you can get a more objective view of the health of your engine.

The key to a clean oil is a good air filter.

I have changed the oil on my 1NZ-FE engine on about a 10,000 mile average using whatever synthetic oil is on sale. I posted pictures here a while back showing it was very clean inside after over 275,000 miles, now that I'm nearing 300,000 it's still doing fine with no abnormal consumption or other issues. So as far as it being BS I'd say it is not.

But on the other hand I only run a 7500 mile OCI on my old 1MZ-FE (nearly 450,000 miles) and I still use an oil with Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval due to the proven oxidation resistance of that approval. A very different engine with very different demands on the oil.
I have the same engine. Toyota 1MZ-FE W/o VVTi.

I have a 1999 Sienna with almost 450,000 miles on it, I know all about the 1MZ-FE engine.

450k is a lot, so that implies lots of long trips and highway miles, which are easier on oil. That is an exception. Most cars aren't driven that much, and when driven in a more typical usage pattern, more frequent oil changes are more necessary.

7500 OCI in your driving conditions is roughly equivalent to 3k OCI in more typical driving conditions.

If you didn't have a 1MZ sludger, you could probably go 12-15k with any syn, maybe even 20k with a premium synthetic

How many times did you have to change the spark plugs? :unsure:

I change them according to what was listed in the maintenance guide, I don’t remember exactly what that is either 90,000 or 100,000 miles.

completely agree that short-tripping is the number one factor in causing the problem (especially in cold weather) but a high-quality synthetic with proven oxidation resistance is key to preventing it.

And I have no way to prove this but I think that left to its own devices this engine would’ve been one of the ones that would’ve had sludge. To disagree with something you said, I don’t think any 1MZ-FE should ever be run to a 20k OCI regardless of what oil was being used.

Question kschachn. Was the engine on your Sienna ever rebuilt? That is a lot of miles. Ty
No it hasn't been, nor has the transmission. But it came with the towing package which included a transmission cooler. I suspect that helped.

It's been a remarkably reliable vehicle as has been the ECHO. I don't think that is going to be repeated by my new Tiguan but maybe I'll be wrong.

I change them according to what was listed in the maintenance guide, I don’t remember exactly what that is either 90,000 or 100,000 miles.

completely agree that short-tripping is the number one factor in causing the problem (especially in cold weather) but a high-quality synthetic with proven oxidation resistance is key to preventing it.

And I have no way to prove this but I think that left to its own devices this engine would’ve been one of the ones that would’ve had sludge. To disagree with something you said, I don’t think any 1MZ-FE should ever be run to a 20k OCI regardless of what oil was being used.

That's not what I said :p

I said your driving conditions on an engine that's not the 1MZ could do 20k OCI :)
If you didn't have a 1MZ sludger, you could probably go 12-15k with any syn, maybe even 20k with a premium synthetic

I have a 1999 Sienna with almost 450,000 miles on it, I know all about the 1MZ-FE engine.
I'm on my SECOND 1999 Toyota Avalon since 2004 with the same motor. I used conventional on the previous one and went 3500 mile OCI's . This one that I bought in 2018 had used Synthetic only so I wasn't about to try conventional and run the risk of any issues.

I'm on my SECOND 1999 Toyota Avalon since 2004 with the same motor. I used conventional on the previous one and went 3500 mile OCI's . This one that I bought in 2018 had used Synthetic only so I wasn't about to try conventional and run the risk of any issues.
What issues would you run into?

Thanks.
10k mile oci’s is not even pushing things. At least on the drivetrain chassis combos and service conditions my vehicles expirience.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another very good post kschachn....

You are like the blind squirrel who can't smell anything and yet are still finding some acorns.... :)

Just messing with ya.

Seriously you have a lot of very informative and thought provoking posts on here.

Back