Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 - 7,068 Miles - '16.5 CX-5 w/ 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this was a costly experiment! I planned on just doing 2-3 UOAs to verify the OLM was accurate (it wasn't) but I ended up doing an additional 3 to see if I could track how far I could go before flashpoint dropped out of spec. Unfortunately I wasn't able to come up with a clear conclusion, but based on these 6 samples, I'll be doing 7,500-8k mile OCIs.

This winter was a brutally cold one for us. I think the colder temps, combined with higher idle times, more stop/go and short trips is what caused the increase in Iron. Typically we don't idle as much and we take longer weekend trips, we've cut down considerably on these trips which is what has kept the mileage down. Also, just before changing, the wife went on a 6 mile trip which I think contributed to the fuel dilution as well. Unlike the other OCIs, this one didn't require a top off of any kind. Technically the others didn't require one either as I was only down 1/2 quart or less, but with Maxlife in the sump, I didn't lose any noticeable amount from the dipstick.

I'm also adding a picture of the jug I used. I bought it when Valvoline was in the middle of re-imaging/re-marketing so I'm not entirely sure if this is Maxlife or a SynPower/MaxLife hybrid. If I recall I bought this around the same time that Daily Protection was on the shelves.

OCI history is as follows:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - 39,486 - SynPower 0w20
39,486 - 47,714 - SynPower 0w20
47,714 - 54,782 - Synthetic MaxLife 0w20
54,782 - Present - Citgo Supergard Synthetic 5w30

Syn High Mileage.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 160
Good you've switched to 5w30, as the history shows a lot of shearing and fuel diluting.
I'd probably pick Mobil1 AFE 0w30, for a 0w20 engine, when the visc keeps dipping too low using 0w20.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Good you've switched to 5w30, as the history shows a lot of shearing and fuel diluting.
I'd probably pick Mobil1 AFE 0w30, for a 0w20 engine, when the visc keeps dipping too low using 0w20.

Viscosity has only been out of spec once, but the shearing has definitely been there. Now that warranty is up (in 3k miles) I'll be doing 5w30 in summer and 0w20 in winter. Have a 60+ quart stash of 5/10w30 and 0w20 to get through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
It's their full synthetic high mileage oil so Advanced Synthetic with Maxlife.

That makes sense, iirc Advanced Synthetic was what came after SynPower as far as an actual product name goes.

Which means nothing.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Viscosity has only been out of spec once, but the shearing has definitely been there. Now that warranty is up (in 3k miles) I'll be doing 5w30 in summer and 0w20 in winter. Have a 60+ quart stash of 5/10w30 and 0w20 to get through.
Its not been too severe, yet it has been on the low side. Smart to go a little thicker in the summer when sump temperatures are higher. I noticed dave1251 above doesn't understand the Stribeck Curve in his trolling post above. Its important to keep viscosity up to limit the % of boundary lubrication.

Look at the high calcium, low moly and near-zero titanium...and the jug is the old-style cap. I saw very similar numbers in their 5W-30 with the old-style cap, versus other UOA data here with the new jug and laundry detergent cap that had SN+ lower calcium and more magnesium, and higher Mo and Ti. Not the same oil despite the jug label similarity.

Much thanks for posting and taking the effort to track this. I have basically the same engine in my 2018 Mazda and I'll be doing my first UOA at the end of the month.

Ray

Thats what i'm running in my cx-5 2.5. 0w30 AFE.

Originally Posted by BrewCityR
Thanks for posting. What filter do you use?

Filter used with this sample was a Pure One. Replaced it with a Denso.

Thanks for posting

I'm surprise to see that there are several brand name no-moly 0w20 oils.
I got the impression that having some moly is standard these days
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back