Synthetic Gear Oil in Older SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Some people have had experiences when switching an older car to synthetic oil, they experienced seal leaks.

What about using synthetic gear oil in an older SUV? Anyone have any issues with the seals of the differentials leaking?

Are some brands of synthetics better or more compatible with seals than others?

Thanks!

No issues after 10 years on conventional for front diff, manual tranny, transfer and rear diff to Amsoil some 15 years ago. It's still on Amsoil and will continue to do so. No leaks so far.

Earlier this year, I scored full syn 75W-90 gear oil @ Walmart $4.75 each used it on my burban with 250K miles !!

Bought entire 4 bottle case lol

No issues

Dave

it's fine. put royal purple in an 02 envoy, valvoline syn blend in a 97 suburban (despite the vehicle fluid requirements as per the computer at work had some mention of a tsb to not put synthetic in certain gm axles), and i'll put some synthetic in my recently purchased silverado as well. all of these vehicles have/had over 200k.

Last edited:
At this point in time the formulations for gear oils have solved any seal swell issues.

The only time a leak will be seen is when the sludge (false seal) around a severely worn seal is removed by the new oil.

But it won't be the lubes fault.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
At this point in time the formulations for gear oils have solved any seal swell issues.

The only time a leak will be seen is when the sludge (false seal) around a severely worn seal is removed by the new oil.

Is sludge really an issue in diffs like it is in engine oil? Not trying to argue just genuinely interested because I've only ever serviced a handful of diffs in my life.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Is sludge really an issue in diffs like it is in engine oil? Not trying to argue just genuinely interested because I've only ever serviced a handful of diffs in my life.

My observations are yes, sludge buildup can happen in differentials.

I've seen diffs that due to have never seen a lube change until they came into my friend's shop, show oxidation, moisture and laden with metal material come out in globs. It wasn't long after the lube change that the wheel bearing seals started leaking.

If only the owner had only done periodic lube changes this might not have happened.

http://www.skf.com/binary/81-61236/457809.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back