Synthetic Filter and Oil for Vehicle Storage?

Does a synthetic filter (e.g. Fram Ultra Synthetic) hold up better than cellulose media when the filter gets little usage but remains submerged in oil for several years (i.e. vehicle storage)? Additionally, are the problems associated with paper endcaps (e.g. Fram Extra Guard) in this application?

Also, which oil is best for vehicle storage? Synthetic or Conventional? There appears to be some disagreement:

Synthetics run off:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Synthetics inherently "flow" at low temperatures, tending to run off rather than "cling".
Conventionals run off:
Originally Posted by NHHEMI
Conventional oil drains off the metal surfaces when it sits whereas synthetic leaves a film.

Are there any specific oils recommended for vehicle storage?

Just like you can't always take what's on a label seriously, you can't take everything you read on here seriously. Remember, this is a public forum- not a panel of Tribologists. There are a handful of members who do have such expertise, but that's the exception and not the rule.

Fill your crankcase with whatever oil meets the specifications required for your engine, a filter that fits, and your fuel tank with ethanol-free fuel. That will be plenty to put your car into storage.

First of all Fram has not used any of the dread cardboard endcaps for about a decade, why people still believe that they do I don't know. Might as well believe that Saddam was getting ready to nuke America in 2003.

Based on the parameters of what you are asking I personally would go with synthetic all the way around due to the nature of organic materials degrading more quickly.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Just like you can't always take what's on a label seriously, you can't take everything you read on here seriously. Remember, this is a public forum- not a panel of Tribologists. There are a handful of members who do have such expertise, but that's the exception and not the rule.

Fill your crankcase with whatever oil meets the specifications required for your engine, a filter that fits, and your fuel tank with ethanol-free fuel. That will be plenty to put your car into storage.

I'd probably add Redline Si-1 with the non ethanol and Lubegard Biofreeze in the cylinders. Maybe substitute a qt for redline or use Lubegard Biotech in oil. How realistic long do you plan on storing? If it was one of my Hondas then this is what I have been doing now without the biofreeze and would do.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
First of all Fram has not used any of the dread cardboard endcaps for about a decade, why people still believe that they do I don't know. Might as well believe that Saddam was getting ready to nuke America in 2003.
But I saw a 3-year-old youtube video showing the cardboard. I was wondering if these endcaps tend to degrade while sitting in oil unused.

Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by Ignatius
But I saw a 3-year-old youtube video showing the cardboard. I was wondering if these endcaps tend to degrade while sitting in oil unused.

This are fiber endcaps, not paper or cardboard.

Yes, A synthetic media filter should last longer in storage or intermittent driving than a cellulose filter. I remember this instruction from Motorking who previously worked for Fram and was a member of this Forum. (I can't make the search function go back more than 1 year). Cellulose media is vulnerable to deterioration from water or acids in the oil. Be sure that any long term stored vehicle has a fresh oil and filter change and is completely warmed up (at least 30 minutes under load) so that all moisture is evaporated before being shut-off. Remember the old rule of thumb: "Never put your horse away hot and never put your car away cold"

If I were going to store one of my vehicles I would use a synthetic media filter with Castro Magnetec. Maybe the oil film would be better than something else after sitting?

Originally Posted by walterjay
If I were going to store one of my vehicles I would use a synthetic media filter with Castro Magnetec. Maybe the oil film would be better than something else after sitting?

I follow the logic on the synthetic media in the filter.....but Magnatec? because of the magnetic oil particles? wait - what?

I'd use conventional oil for storage.
Ask a farmer what they use on their machinery. Synthetic is slippery and gravity is consistent.
Great for use, but not so much for what you're looking at.
The additives mentioned for the upper cylinder area is a good idea. I dk which product is good or bad though.

Originally Posted by ChiTDI
I'd use conventional oil for storage.
Ask a farmer what they use on their machinery. Synthetic is slippery and gravity is consistent.
Great for use, but not so much for what you're looking at.
I've seen this perspective before and was wondering if it may be the case.

Also, which oil is best for vehicle storage? Synthetic or Conventional?
I've seen several references to the notion that conventional oil is best for a stored vehicle, because synthetic oil may "run off" engine parts, leaving them vulnerable to corrosion and rust. I have seen fewer references preferring synthetic oil for this application. I'm therefore inclined to prefer conventional oil for this application, but I don't really know if the "run off" concept is myth or fact. Can anyone offer further insight?

I've seen several references to the notion that conventional oil is best for a stored vehicle, because synthetic oil may "run off" engine parts, leaving them vulnerable to corrosion and rust. I have seen fewer references preferring synthetic oil for this application. I'm therefore inclined to prefer conventional oil for this application, but I don't really know if the "run off" concept is myth or fact. Can anyone offer further insight?

LOL but how bout all that new Magnetic Oil? I mean after all.

Any thoughts on whether conventional oil is superior for vehicle storage?

Personally, I don't think it matters. I have many vehicles and engines and have never chosen one oil over another for storage. I'd be more worried about mice. I haven't fired up my '59 in a while but have no fear. I think it has conventional 10W30 or SAE30 in it. I'll probably have to clean the points and she'll start right up. The engine has never been apart.

How long do you plan to store, what are you storing and where is it being stored? Is it running, is it a boneyard engine? When I buy a boneyard engine, I spin the crank a bit to see if she spins freely. If not, then I pull the plugs and drop a little MMO in there and work it.

On modern engines, I'm sure there are vehicles sitting on lots unstarted for a while due to covid and other reasons. They will be fine. The new Chevy motor going into my buggy was rebuilt and sat for a while and ended up being given to me (no one wants a 305 but me). I'm simply going to spin the oil pump, drop in the distributor, and fire her up. Boat guys fog their engines for the off season, but obviously they are in a damp environment and have different cooling systems.

Regarding run off, the cylinder wall will receive oil as soon as the crank spins. I don't think it matters what oil is in there for long term.
I've taken apart 50 year old engines that had oil in the bearings, so no worries there. Same for the cam bearings. My $.02

Does a synthetic filter (e.g. Fram Ultra Synthetic) hold up better than cellulose media when the filter gets little usage but remains submerged in oil for several years (i.e. vehicle storage)? Additionally, are the problems associated with paper endcaps (e.g. Fram Extra Guard) in this application?

Also, which oil is best for vehicle storage? Synthetic or Conventional? There appears to be some disagreement:

Synthetics run off:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Synthetics inherently "flow" at low temperatures, tending to run off rather than "cling".
Conventionals run off:
Originally Posted by NHHEMI
Conventional oil drains off the metal surfaces when it sits whereas synthetic leaves a film.

Are there any specific oils recommended for vehicle storage?
Those two opinions tell us something.

Back