Synthetic/Engine sounds like [censored]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 1999 3.9 dodge V6 with 155,000 has seen castrol/valvoline dino all its life. The last oil change I ran Penn yellow bottle with auto rx, I decided to put Penn Platinum in it for the rinse. On yellow bottle it purred like a kitten, its first dose of synthetic its sounds awful. Let me say it sounds awful at idle, just not the quiet smoothness I had with dino. Weird. I reckon back to yellow bottle. My ears don't deceive me. Any thoughts?

In my experience with different oils and different cars,they all perform better with dino. Synthetic definitely shines in the gears though (manual transmission and rear differential). Maybe that`s why synths always blow away dino on those wear tests,because those tests are designed for gear oils and not engine oils? I don`t know,but it`s dino in the engine only for me and synth in the gears.

I won't doubt your ears but the sound is not cause for concern but could be an annoyance, IMO. Do you really need to use synthetic for some particular reasons? Longer drain capabilities are what PP will give you relative to Castrol/Valvoline dino.

I`d go back to the Pennzoil yellow bottle if I were you since you had the best results with it. That`s more than likely gonna be the only oil I`ll ever use. Maybe Valvoline white bottle too. It`s kind`ve always a toss up between the two.

Last edited:
It's probably the standard 3.9L timing chain noise you are referring to. My Dad has a 3.9 Dakota and it sounds terrible, But [censored] if that thing dosen't run great with 230,000 on the clock. Those Magnum engines are tough. His never had good care until I started doing it a couple of years ago. I can document at least 3 10-12,000 oci's on it with dino. It does however quiet down pretty well with Maxlife blend. His last oil change I ran 2 qts Maxlife and 2qts Mobil 1 HM just because that's what I had lying around and it seems to have cleaned things up a bit in there. After 3000 miles the oil was nasty and the filter full of [censored]. The truck is also quieter now.

Quick question for anyone who knows, Is Mobil 1 HM really a better cleaner than maxlife? I love Maxlife but would consider it for maintence cleaning in my old Ram.

you may wanna run 10w-30 in that motor, especially in the summer. my 95 and 98 dodges call for that. and yes, those timing chains are noisy when they get loose

Quote:
Weird. I reckon back to yellow bottle. My ears don't deceive me. Any thoughts?

This would not be an uncommon side effect of the rinse phase with Auto-Rx. Mine was full of new sounds. Just ride it out. The oil is obviously up to the task. Go the full 3k and then use whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
Weird. I reckon back to yellow bottle. My ears don't deceive me. Any thoughts?

This would not be an uncommon side effect of the rinse phase with Auto-Rx. Mine was full of new sounds. Just ride it out. The oil is obviously up to the task. Go the full 3k and then use whatever you want.

Dito to what Gary said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back