Synthetic Dot 3 Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made by Prestone. Saw this at Walmart today. I thought synthetic was Dot 5 or 5.1. It claimed 470 degree dry boiling point. It was like $5.87/qt.

The minimum wet boiling point determines whether a brake fluid is DOT 3 or DOT 4. For example:

DOT 3 = 284F

DOT 4 = 311F.

Synthetics can be DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1 while all silicon brake fluid is DOT 5.

Thanx but it just threw me when it said synthetic. I used to use silicon brake fluid in an older brake system but read to not use it in the newer ABS systems. It worked great on the race track.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
Thanx but it just threw me when it said synthetic. I used to use silicon brake fluid in an older brake system but read to not use it in the newer ABS systems. It worked great on the race track.

I love silicone fluid in my older cars. I've heard it's too viscous for ABS. Don't know if that's true, but I dont care to be the guinea pig!

Mine was an 80 Camaro that was basically a race car on the street. The ABS system moves brake fluid at a rate the silicon can't match plus the orifices that it has to pass thru it's to viscous IIRC from reading.

I got some of that stuff myself today, in a yellow 32 oz bottle. I wanted to use DOT 4 this time round, but I posted about this earlier and it was recommended I use whatever is cheapest.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
All brake fluid is synthetic. Always has been(well, maybe not always). Even the cheap stuff.

Yes, marketing hype popularized by Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back