Synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much sythetic is there in sythetic blend
dunno.gif
Do some brands have more than others?

As I understand it, the synthetic oil in the blends (other than schaeffer's) are a GIII base oil, and are not a true synthetic. The only real synthetic blends are the High mileage oils which have about 10% ester base (group 5 synthetic) oil in them.

Dipstick, If you want a blend I would buy Mobil drive Clean and mobil-1 synthetic. Mix the two 50/50 and you know what you are getting. You will end up with a higher concentration of true synthetic in the engine. Most blends are not true synthetic blends and in the best case you are only getting 20%-30% group III witch is not a true synthetic. If you are going to keep changeing every 3000-4000 miles you might try Walmart brand synthetic. It is cheap enough that you would not mind draining it out every 3000-4000 miles! You might also true Chevron Supreem or Pensoil Pure base. THey are group II+ base oils and are preety good!

Synthetic blends are for price point 95% of the time, envisioned by marketers.

Some blends exist that serve a purpose at a price like some 0w30 oils.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Dipstick, If you want a blend I would buy Mobil drive Clean and mobil-1 synthetic. Mix the two 50/50 and you know what you are getting. You will end up with a higher concentration of true synthetic in the engine. Most blends are not true synthetic blends and in the best case you are only getting 20%-30% group III witch is not a true synthetic. If you are going to keep changeing every 3000-4000 miles you might try Walmart brand synthetic. It is cheap enough that you would not mind draining it out every 3000-4000 miles! You might also true Chevron Supreem or Pensoil Pure base. THey are group II+ base oils and are preety good!

I wonder how you come up with this stuff sometimes.

There are very few synthetic blends worth the cash. Most are indeed a ripoff. Big $ for little bang.

In fact the only two I would consider are Schaefer's and the one offering from Amsoil.

If you want a true synthetic blend, buy about 18 quarts of various synthetic oils and mix them in a five gallon pail.
That will give you the best possible synthetic engine oil because what one oil may not have the other one will.
Just like a mutt dog.
People who know dogs all say the same thing.
Get a GD mutt, and your dog troubles are over.
The best mix may be a blend of 15W50, 0W30, and 5W40 group III, PAO and esters like Motul or Elf.
If you could get some of that Yu Base from the Orient and German mobil, all the better.
Adding Royal Purple and Kendall green together will likely make an ugly brown and sludge up your engine.

Bob, I have no empircal data supporting it. I merly did it for a couple years and had no problems at all. I wanted some synthetic in my Scorrico in Germany but on an aprentice's budget it just was not going to happen. So alot of us did the 50/50 mix and drained every 3000 miles. THis was a common thing in the 80's with people that drove turbo charged of super charged cars. It has to be better then paying a premium for regular dino oil with 20%-30% group III or PAO added. Figure that Mobil used the same addetive package for years in the Mobil1 and it contained the dino carrier oil. They claim on their site that it is compatable with dino oil so should present no problem especial mixing with their own dino oil. Additive clash is not going to be an issue over a short drain period. You would also think that most additives in the M1 are going to be simalr in all of Mobils products as far as the chemical compound used not amounts.On top of all this a few people on this site have used some pretty wicked blends with oils from different manufactures and have not had a bad UOA from doing it. Then you have all the people that run Delvac1 or Amsoil and add a quart of Redline to it for the moly. Some are now running a blend of M1 and Delvac1. So far none of these individuals have had any problems.

So while this does sound odd today it was at one point fairly common thing to do. I also do not know of any company that gives you a 50/50 bleand of PAO and dino.

The only true synthetic blend of which I am aware is Schaeffers. Their PAO concentration is approx. 17-25%. No guesses here.

Their Dexron III ATF has to be the best ATF blend going in terms of smoothness of shifting and thermal stability (VI of 190) and oxidation stability.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The only true synthetic blend of which I am aware is Schaeffers. Their PAO concentration is approx. 17-25%. No guesses here.

Their Dexron III ATF has to be the best ATF blend going in terms of smoothness of shifting and thermal stability (VI of 190) and oxidation stability.

I remember asking someone at Amsoil about the difference between their blend and their 15w40 synthetic and was told that the blend was 75% synthetic. I do not know if he meant that it was 75% of the amount of synthetic in their regular oil or if it was 75% of the total oil. He said that was the reason that it wasn't priced much lower than the all synthetic.

wuli,

You are correct and I neglected to mention Amsoil's 15W40. OK, there's really two mainstream blends.

However, Schaeffer's seem to excell in blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back